Chapter 36

Beth's POV:

My nerves fully kicked in as we separated from Squid and Amy to sit on our side. We were waiting in the booth we had to sit in and my father was due here any minute. I was extremely anxious. 

I fidgeted in my seat, tapping my fingers nervously on the wooden desk we sat in front of. Stampy put his hands on top of my fidgeting hands, helping my trembling hands.

I looked into the crowd behind us. Squid and Amy were sitting there, looking just as nervous as I was. Amy mouthed "good luck" and I turned back around.

Stampy squeezed my hand suddenly. Confused, I followed his gaze, finding his eyes on my father who had just entered the room.

My stomach dropped, and I could feel the bile rise slightly in my throat. Swallowing and trying to regain composure, I remained to hold Stampy's hands as tightly as I could, trying not to let the flash of memories of my father come into my mind.

I just turned my head straight and didn't bother to look at him. The judge came in after about another 30 minutes.

"All rise!"

Joe's POV:

"All rise!"

We stood up at the judge's orders. Sqaishey looked as if she wanted to be sick. I didn't blame her one bit. She looked pale, and when she was asked to speak, her voice cracked and it shook.

Her argument was strong though. She had shown evidence, and I had backed her up with the experiences I have seen. When Sqaisheys father was to speak, he immediately put on this innocent face.

"I am not guilty of any of this. She has ruined me in so many ways!" He was directing his argument at Sqaishey from the other side of the room.

Sqaishey looked as if she wanted to run away under his vile expression. I grabbed her hand again, squeezing her for reassurance.

"And how is that so, Mr. bates?" The judge asked him, looking bored.

"She cried to that pathetic excuse for a boyfriend,"

he gestured at me.

"And has made up lies to get pity!" I was shocked by his rebuke.

"Mr. Bates! Inappropriate use of language. Settle down." The judge frowned, narrowing his eyes at Sqaishey's father. 

"Sorry, your honor." He mumbled, dragging his feet against the carpet.

"It seems to me," the judge said thoughtfully, "that something had to happen to Beth for her to tell, especially at such a young age."

Now her father looked embarrassed.

"Yes, well, that is the whole point! She deserved a spanking after that! But I did no more."

"If I may speak, your honor," Sqaishey suddenly spoke up. the judge nodded.

"I do want to point something out. I have text message receipts of my mother and father's old conversations. He threatened us after she filed for divorce, pinning all the abuse and blame onto me. He has been tracking us down anywhere we tried moving to and harassing us." 

 He looked horribly shocked to be revealed by his own daughter. He looked angry.

"May we see it, Beth?" The judge looked every bit as repulsed at her strong rebuke as I felt.