8 | What Are Friends For?

The rain was still pouring heavily once I arrived at my destination. The sky is heavily covered in thick, gray clouds and not one bird in sight. Once I stepped off the taxi, I ran to the five storey apartment building in front of me. The sliding glass doors automatically opened and I hurriedly entered to avoid myself getting wetter from the damn rain.

The inside looks more like a luxurious hotel than an apartment building. It has a fair-sized silver chandelier on the high beige-colored ceiling. There were sofas in one corner, and a reception bar near the entrance. I approached the lady behind the counter.

"Welcome to Silverline Apartments, sir. How may I help you?" The lady greeted with a smile.

I adjusted my jacket. "Uh, yeah. Are the Winstons in?"

The lady faced her computer and typed rapidly on the keyboard. Then she glanced at me happily. I can't believe this girl can still smile despite the harsh weather outside.

"Ah, yes! The Winstons are in. Can I have your name please, sir?"

I was about to tell her my name, when I remembered that I'm now carrying the Langlois name. Jace's last name at that. I hesitated for a moment, earning myself a curious look from the receptionist.

"Sir, is something wrong?" The lady asked politely.

I sighed. I have no other choice but to tell her my full name. Although, I hate to say it out loud, now that just mentioning Jace's name leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. What happened back at his place is still fresh in my mind and my feelings are jumbled together, not focusing on one thing. What's making my mood even worse is the fucking weather outside.

".. ir? Sir!"

I snapped back from my thoughts and saw the worried eyes of the lady receptionist. I cleared my throat.

"Sorry. Kei Forest... Langlois." I said without looking at the lady's eyes.

She typed another set of keys on the keyboard before nodding. "Right. You're on their list. Enjoy your stay, Mr. Langlois."

I took a double-take and raised my eyebrow in confusion. That's weird. She didn't react like I expected her to do. Most people who hears the Langlois name usually acts all giddy and hyper, which is not to my liking at all. But this lady didn't react at all and just gave me a sweet smile, as if I'm just a normal person. I couldn't help but give her a smile back before going straight to the elevators. Once I stepped inside, I pressed the number three button then leaned on the mirror wall of the elevator. A few seconds passed before the elevator dinged and opened its doors. I stepped outside and looked for the door with 038 on it. As soon as I found it, I knocked softly.

"Coming!" A voice from the other side yelled.

The door opened and revealed Summer. She was dressed in only an oversized dark blue sweater and white pajamas. Her hair is in a messy bun and her face is void of makeup. Her eyes widened when she saw me.

"Kei! What are you doing here?" She said while gesturing for me to go inside. She closed the door after and led me to a comfy-looking living room.

I flopped down instantly on the three seater couch. Man, with all my mixed feelings I didn't realize my body is aching all over from all those chores I did back at Jace's house.

"Hey, you're soaking wet! You should take a shower. Change out of those clothes," Summer said.

I didn't listen to her, and just closed my eyes instead. I really, really want to sleep already. I heard some shuffling then a loud bang.

"Jesus Christ! Kei, what are you doing here?" Autumn's surprised voice echoed around the room.

I slowly opened my eyes again but looked up at the ceiling. "No reason."

Autumn scoffed in disbelief. Summer suddenly threw me a face towel then sat down on her bean bag again. Autumn and Winter just stood in the corner, making similar shocked faces.

"No reason, my ass. What, did something happen at your place? Your husband's company didn't get bankrupt, did it?" Autumn asked.

"Autumn, stop being an idiot for once in your pathetic life. It's obvious Kei had a fight with Mr. Langlois. Am I right, Kei?" Summer asked, positioning herself comfortably on the bean bag.

I sighed in defeat and just blurted out all the events that occured between Jace and I a while ago. All the time, the triplets kept quiet and just listened attentively. Well, except for Autumn who throws angry curse words every time Jace's name is mentioned by me. After a while, I finished talking and just waited for the three of them to say something.

"First of all, why did you choose to hide in here?" Summer inquired curiously.

"Yeah, what if he actually finds you? Your husband is rich as fuck. He can hire hundreds of investigators to search for you. Even the SWAT team! Whoa, that is cool! I've always wanted to be an FBI secret agent or something!" Autumn exclaimed excitedly.

Winter just shook his head at his twin brother, meanwhile Summer had other ideas. She smacked Autumn straight on the face. Autumn howled in pain. Watching them bicker like little kids actually eased my mood a little better and made me forget Jace for a second. But alas, it didn't last long.

"Autumn, shut up. You're missing the whole point." Summer scolded.

I fiddled with my fingers. "I know what I'm doing, guys. He will never find me. He doesn't know I even have friends of my own. He's just too stupid to even notice that."

Summer and Autumn got quiet. We stayed there in silence before Winter shyly raised his hand. We looked at him in surprise. Maybe he had something to say for the matter at hand.

"Um, haven't you forgotten? Mr. Langlois came to our college once to pick you up and he saw us. And he's also the main sponsor of the school, so doesn't that give him lots of references and connection to help him find you?" Winter told us slowly.

Summer's jaw dropped in pure shock. Winter never said a lot of words before. Autumn smiled a little to show that he's proud of what his brother did.

I grimaced. It looks like my mind has forgotten some of its pieces because I didn't thought of what Winter just said. I forgot Jace did actually picked me up, and the triplets were there too at that time. Even worse, he's got more chances of finding my whereabouts because he's one of the sponsors of our college.

Shit.

I was about to panic and run away again when I felt two pairs of hands on my shoulders. I looked up and saw Summer and Autumn, both giving me reassuring smiles. Winter just sat down quietly next to me.

"Hey, don't worry about a thing. We will handle this." Summer said to me.

Autumn gave me a clap on the back. "Yeah, man. We are the Winstons. No one scares us!"

I grinned at his goofiness. "Thanks, guys."

"What are friends for?" Winter said.

And once again, Winter made his siblings drop their jaws in shock and smile proudly.