18 | Craving Caviar

Kei's POV

"Hey, Ryan!" I greeted my friend rather gratefully. Thank God, he came over. The akwardness and tension between Jace, Ralph, and me was just too heavy for my liking. And I was still doubtful on why Jace was here with us.

Ryan gave me a clap on the back, before looking between the French siblings. "Can I...?"

I nodded and gestured for him to sit down on the vacant seat beside Ralph. He complied happily, but when he noticed Jace looking hard at him, he cleared his throat and distracted himself by looking down at the menu. I gave Jace a jab on his hips with my elbow, making him grunt quietly. Somehow, Ralph noticed it and chuckled at what I did to his brother. I smiled smugly.

"So, Ryan. How was your job as an intern?" I asked casually.

Ryan glanced at me shortly, before shrugging. "Meh, it was fine."

The waiter finally arrived with our orders, and Ryan politely added in his own too before the waiter walked off. I looked at my food. It looks... decent. I expected something more like a gooey kind of food, but damn... the aioli smells good. I couldn't help myself but dug on right into my food. I heard Ralph chuckling before he also started to eat his food.

"You like it?" Jace suddenly asked me.

I nodded, my mouth full of fries. Jace smirked smugly, satisfied with my response. As I ate, I didn't notice when Jace casually put his arm on the back of my chair. I looked up just in time to see Ralph shaking his head defeatedly.

"So, mon minou. Do you have any classes after this?" Ralph said, finally coming up with a topic to talk with.

I put my fork on the table and gave him my full attention. "Nope. But I have an essay to write that is due tomorrow."

Ralph pouted. "Well, that sucks."

Jace choked on his food all of a sudden, making the rest of us on the table look at him curiously. It's so not like Jace to get out of character like that.

After Jace sipped some of Ralph's red wine, he cleared his throat and wiped the corner of his mouth with a napkin. "I'm sorry. I was just shocked."

"Shocked of what, exactly?" Ralph drawled.

Jace glared at his brother. "Since when did you know some vulgar American expressions?"

I blinked when I realized what he meant. Yeah, he's got a point alright. As what I have observed, Ralph speaks with a heavy French accent and barely uses some common American phrases. Like the one he said a while ago: that sucks.

"I have been in your mari's school a while ago. College boys always have useful mouths sometimes." He explained.

This time, Ryan choked on his drink. Ralph glanced at him with a teasing grin on his face, just in time when the waiter arrived with Ryan's order. Ryan thanked him before drinking another gulp of water.

"You okay?" I asked with concern.

He nodded. "Yeah, I'm okay."

"Your name is Ryan, correct?" Ralph asked.

Somehow, I hinted a strange tone in his voice, almost like teasing or mischievous-like. I don't know why, but I suddenly felt like this lunch won't be as normal as I would have thought.

Ryan sat up straight and nodded. "Yeah."

"He works as an intern in Jace's company." I informed.