Chapter 5

Dallon woke up from his sleep, always used to see the upper bunk of his brother's bed.

Strangely enough, he realized he was staring at a ceiling after rubbing his eyes.

Dallon woke up to a bedroom that is not his own. First of all, the bed is very very big. And the room is also very big with a lot of fancy stuff. He knows Mama and Papa couldn't have bought this stuff. Having fancy stuff was only for rich people, and his Papa told him they weren't rich.

He gets out of the bed, his little feet barely reaching the floor because the bed was not only big, but also tall!

After successfully dropping off of bed, his feet felt the soft texture of the carpeted floor. He wiggles his little toes, feeling the feathery softness that kinda tickles his feet.

It would probably take a good job to have all these rich stuff. If maybe someone was a President, they could have this very nice room without sweat. Dallon knows his parents could barely afford this one. The nice looking teacup by the table would probably cost his Papa's money.

A sound turns Dallon's attention to the door being opened.

There's a strange man looking at him kindly. It was the type of look that his Papa gave him when he listens to his stories about school.

"'Morning, Dal. Bought you breakfast."

The man talks to him softly, giving him a warm smile as he sets some food at the table. The man knows him, called him Dal as if they were friends. He doesn't look familiar. He's sure Mama and Papa don't know anyone like him. Dallon's pretty sure his parents would simply disapprove of Dallon befriending someone older than him.

'Don't talk to strangers.' His Mama tells him. He knows better than to disobey.

Dallon observes the older man. He's tall, but probably not as tall as Papa. He barely remembers the face since the older man's back is turned to him.

"Dallon?" The man turns around to look at him. He seems like a nice man. His brother taught him that the eyes say a lot about the person. His eyes tell him that he's a good person. But his parents had taught him a lot to know not to trust anyone easily.

His family must be worried about him. What if he was abducted by this man and just played nice to him?

Dallon musters his glare, hoping to fend off the stranger in front of him.

"What's wrong, buddy?" The stranger asks as he approaches closer to Dallon's space. He swallows, carefully taking a step back as the man continues to approach him. He needs to get out of here.

The man reaches out to touch him, but he flinched instinctively. The stranger looks at him in shock, slowly retracting his hand away from Dallon.

"D-Dallon? What's wrong? Are you okay?" The man says shakily, and Dallon could hear some worry and concern in them. He must be seeing things, but he also saw fear in the man's eyes as he stares at Dallon. He's the one who's s'pose to be afraid. Not the stranger.

"W-Who're you?"

Dallon, all in his seven years of living, has never before seen a man who looked like his whole world crashed down on him, all because of a simple question. He suddenly feels guilty seeing that terrified, sad expression on the man's face. He didn't do anything wrong! He just asked a question, that's all! Does the stranger not know his name?

Remembering that he doesn't know this man, and that he maybe an untrustworthy person, he took his chance while the stranger was dazed. He ran past the man, making his way to the door which he was fortunate enough to reach the door knob with his height.