Chapter 7

"Dallon? Wake up."

Dallon groans, feeling someone shook him from his slumber. Oh. he must have fallen asleep on Brendon's lap.

He rose his head to blink up at Brendon blearily. He smiles down at him. Brendon has a very nice smile. It was the type of smile that makes him feel warm and nice.

"I like your smile." Dallon says as he smiles at Brendon in return.

Brendon blinks down at him then smiles wider, making his eyes crinkle. Dallon remembers Pa calling it "Laughter Lines". It's when someone is really happy and that it makes their eyes crinkle.

"T-Thanks." Brendon said. His cheeks look a little red. Dallon hopes he didn't make Brendon sick.

Dallon straightens himself and realizes they were still at the edge of stage.

"Are you okay now, Brendon?" He turns to the older man. But guessing from his laughter lines earlier, he must be.

"Yeah. Because my new friend made me feel better." Brendon chuckles, as he begins to mess Dallon's hair again.

"S-Stop! You're a meanie! You always mess my hair." Dallon pouts at him but it only makes Brendon laugh and make his hair even messier.

He doesn't enjoy it when people mess his hair, but it's okay because Brendon is smiling again. Their laughter surrounds the entire stage and Dallon thinks everything will be alright.

*****

"Hey, Darren! How's your day?"

Dallon hides behind Brendon. He sends his guardian a terrified expression. He has no idea who the other man is, and why he called him Darren.

But Pa and Ma said a lot of people made mistakes on his name. His name is unique that it sometimes annoys him that people get it wrong.

"Uh, hey Kenny." Brendon addresses the other man who was wearing a goofy grin in his face. It reminds Dallon of Jordan when he does silly things that makes him laugh. This one is probably a good guy.

Dallon carefully approaches the other man. His smile widens, carefully leans down and raised his hand at Dallon, gesturing a high-five.

He giggles at the silly 'whoosh' sound the older man made when his little hand connects with his.

"Looks like Brendon is having himself a tiny protege." The man--Kenny--as Brendon calls him said. He said a weird word that he didn't understand.

"What's a pro-teh-jay?" Dallon asked, making his brows furrowed at how the word is making him "tongue-tied", as his brother would call it when he has a hard time pronouncing things.

Kenny hums in thought, as if finding the right words to say for a child to understand. "It's when someone with skill decides to teach you what they know."

"Like... Like a teacher?"

"Yeah! That's it. Like a teacher."

"Oh." Dallon turns to Brendon, blinking up at him curiously. "Are you going to teach me, Brendon?"

"D-Do you want to?" His surprise at Dallon's question wasn't left unnoticed.

Brendon is a famous musician. If he can learn from Brendon, he can learn to play an instrument! He can learn to play that thing he played at the stage earlier.

"Can you teach me how to play the b-bass?"

Kenny lets out a low whistle. "Wow. I think that's too advanced for you, little guy."