Scouts?

Main POV....425 years later
Hi. I'm Sapphira Robbins. I guess I'd be considered a 'tom-boy', but I just don't see why the other village girls ogle over guys who'd never give them one second. I began hunting at eight for the village, unlike the boys who hunted for sport. I always thought of myself as a hunter. Never as a housewife for one! Only going out for flour for bread like those woman would kill me!

I like to wear my shoulder-length brown hair in a braid down my back, and a brown cloak over my shoulders. I walked into town, my broadsword strapped to my waist. The sword swayed under my cloak as I walked into town. The villages' butcher favored me over the boys my age. He said it was because the boys were always cocky, and they called him an old man. He told me to go see the strangers in the village square, as they were requesting the thirteen-year-olds. I walked to the village square and found three men in black, red, and gold cloaks. They were surrounded by the village teens. I walked up and got to the front.
The first man said "We are from The Academy of Dragon Riding Excellency, looking for dragon riders. We just ask that you touch the relic in my friend, Shinelys', hand. Then, if we find a dragon rider, they will come to the academy!"
The teens laughed, but the man named Shinely said "Volunteers?"
I felt my hand go up on its' own.
The teens were silenced, and I asked "What do I do?"
The men smiled, and Shinely reached into his cloak...