thirteen.

EMPTY GOLD.
013. | ❛ you've changed too.

"Obviously Gil diffused the situation and your mom has apologized to Yvonne and her family. She's also apologized to Elena. And she..." Spencer's father spoke to the both of them as they were both on there phones. It was photos of A being at the Aria's parents wedding.

"Could you please turn that off while I'm talking?" He told the both girls as they placed there phones down and looked at him.

"Sorry." They both apologized in unison.

"Thank you. Several members of the press have caught wind of the fact that the "social media consultant" that was responsible for all the leaks is your boyfriend. I think it would be wise to put out a statement you know, distancing yourself from him."

"What? Why?" Spencer took to her defense.

"This morning Toby spoke with the media. Issued a personal statement."

"He did?" Elena asked since she hadn't gone home to avoid Toby's scold.

"Yeah. Naturally voicing his support for his girlfriend and taking a swipe at our nasty political tactics."

"Does he know that it was Caleb who did it?" Spencer defended her boyfriend.

"I-why are you two so protective of Caleb? Elena, he leaked a your secret. Why are you helping him?"

"I mean, come on, Spence. Don't we all have a better idea of who he really is now? I-I have to go to the campaign office." Spencer's father flustered as he got up.

"Yeah, Spence, I'll be upstairs," Elena patted her back as she hurled herself up the stairs trying to get away from all the drama. Elena went into Spencer's old room, she stood by the window that out looked into the Dilaurentis house next door as she did she came across a distant memory

Walking through the streets of Philly with Jason, hand in hand, reminded Elena of the good old days. She no longer needed to hide but celebrate that she was no longer under torment. Elena wasn't the same old girl she once was but a new rebuilt model that could sustain more.

They both chuckled as they turned the corner and came up to a huge building that could only be recognized as Radley. Elena's hand tightened around Jason's as she was transported to the night that everything ended, all the texts, secrets, lies, and torture. Jason saw that she was backing away from the institution and letting go of his hand. It was very noticeable the tears that were streaming down her face.

"No, no,no" Elena said as it progressively got louder before Jason pulled her into a hug, silencing her tears.

"It's okay, it's okay. Let's get out of here,"

Elena heard a knock on the door assuming it was Toby who was coming to receive a statement.

"I'm coming." Elena yelled from upstairs as she trotted down and opened the door

"Toby..."

"Where is he?" He questioned taking Elena into account.

"Caleb isn't here, okay?" Spencer appeared from the living room,"And I know you're upset..."

"He knows her. She's not some faceless, nameless... She's not even a candidate, okay? She didn't choose to put her life under a microscope." Toby defended his fiancée.

"I know. But there's just so much about this that you don't know."

"When Veronica told me it was Caleb that did this I told him she-she must've had his wires crossed. I said That there's no way. I told him, I know this guy. And I would bet my life that he would never do something like this. I'm glad he didn't take that bet." Toby was visibly angry at this point.

Spencer and Elena both surprised at Toby's new behavior, they all look to the the appearance of Caleb as they the door slams shut.

"Hey, Toby." Caleb waltz in clearly monotoned.

"Toby, hey, just let him explain, okay?" Elena stepped in front of him.

"There's nothing to explain." Caleb said, making Spencer question what he's doing.

"She thought you were a friend. I thought you were a friend."

"I'm sorry you're hurting, Elena," Caleb apologized

"Caleb, just tell him." Spencer pleaded with him knowing that Toby would understand.

"Wow. So you're not even going to deny it was you."

"No. I can't."

Toby leans forward grabbing Caleb's shirt and yelling at him as Spencer and Elena try to get him off,"I want to hear it from you! I want to hear it from your mouth. Why you did this."

"Toby, stop, okay? Caleb, tell him!" Elena pleaded with both of them, not caring what would happen anymore with A.

"I did what I had to do." Caleb said causing Toby to get extremely angry and punching Caleb in the face.

"Oh, my God!"

Caleb flies to the floor as Toby shakes his hand and flees the house with Spencer caring to Caleb, Elena goes after Toby.

"Toby! Wait!" She called after him running to catch up as she got a hold of his arm.

"What's the matter with you!" Elena asked visibly upset about what just happened,"That isn't the Toby I know."

"Are you seriously questioning me right now? Why aren't you more upset with Caleb? This leak is possibly the worst thing for you right now."

"Because-" Elena stopped knowing that she had a target on her back of she told Toby about A.

"You know you've changed too, Elena."

"What do you want me to do? To go back to the girl that couldn't admit what she wanted?"

"I don't know, but I surely need some answers and you're not giving them to me." Toby released his grip from Elena leaving her to look at him walk away.

Elena waited in the living room as she heard the door slam waking her up. Jason piled in with a slight limp as he wandered into the living room.

"Jason, where have you been? I was worried," she yawned taking a look at his appearance. She covered her nose as she could smell the horrible scent of alcohol

"I was with some friends, you shouldn't have stayed up."

"It's my job to stay up, waiting for you to come home."

"You sound like a clingy girlfriend."

Elena took offense to that she huffed,"I have a fear that every time you leave that something might happen to me. That A will come back or Charlotte escapes Radley. I'm in constant fear thinking that I might be in danger again. What do you want me to do go back to the girl who didn't know what she wanted?"

"It was certainly more interesting that way," Jason said making Elena angry and fleeing the house with only her keys and car.