fourteen.

EMPTY GOLD.
014. | ❛ some copycat version.

"I don't get it. If Sara was framing us then why were you free to go?" Elena asked at Hanna's bridal shower.

"Maybe that's what Tanner meant when she said the police don't always act on every accusation right away."

"So all we can do is wait for the other shoe to drop?"

"Hanna? You can't neglect your other guests. Why don't you lead the group in some icebreakers?"

"Sure. As soon as Spencer gets here." Hanna explained to get mother who walked away before turning back to the girls.

"Well, where is she?"
_____________________

"Blackmailed? Do we really believe that?" Aria asked as Spencer arrived and told them of her father and Melissa.

"Well, even if it is true, isn't that more of a reason Melissa would have wanted Charlotte dead?"

"Yeah, but Charlotte was still on lockdown when Melissa made her first payment."

"So what are you saying?"

"The person who's threatening us is probably the same person who was blackmailing my sister." Spencer answered.

"Well I don't think it was Melissa who borrowed that SUV. I looked at the pictures, one look at that crowd and her Argyle socks would have blown off."

"Which leaves us with nothing." Elena sighed

"No, there's the eyewitness report." Aria told them.

"A hot brunette with a cheesy keychain? That's, like, half this party." Emily surveyed the room as they all heard glass clicking.

"Ladies, if you could all move to the sofa. Uh, sweetie, I thought you could open your presents now." Hanna's mother told her as she looked backed at them.

"If any of you guys got me some kind of toy you're dead."

"Then, you shouldn't open up mine." Elena joked causing Hanna to glare at her.

But a sudden knock at the door, revealed a Mona behind the door as the liars looked at her. The conversation was distant, as soon as it ended it became serious as Mona joined the party.
______________________

"It's time for 21 Questions. Uh, this version is How Well Do You Know the Bride and Groom? So, whoever gets the most points, wins a prize. So, first question, for 100 points... Where did Jordan propose?"

"Why is she here? I thought you two had it out at The Brew." Elena whispered to Emily

"Hm, she brought a gift."

"Yeah, and an ax to grind." Spencer added on.

"Emily, for 50 points. Do you know this one? Uh... How did the bride and groom meet?"

"Yeah, um... 'I, uh, I think it was at a work function. No, no, it was, um, it was at-at a party."

"Sorry. Uh, Spencer?"

"Um... Mm... Wait, I know this. Uh..." The liars stuttered as they all knew that they didn't know their friend as well as they thought they did.

"Um, you know what, this game is kind of silly. Um, isn't there one where everyone takes a shot when you hear the word bride?" Hanna joked causing them to chuckle as she picked up the tablet and clicked various buttons.

"What is wrong with this thing?" Hanna said as she pressed a button that resulted in rock music being blared and causing everybody to cover their ears.

"Hanna!"

"I don't know how to stop it."

"Here, here." Spencer spas taking the tablet from Hanna, which caused the lights to turn off.

"What is happening?"

"I have no idea." The blaring continues as they feel a breeze.

"Is that the air conditioner?" They asked as paper started to breeze in the air and causing a bag to fall over which contained glass.

"What is that?"

Aria rushes over to pick it up and all of a sudden, a small fire erupts causing Aria to fall over onto the floor.

"Aria! Oh, my God!" They rushed over to her to attend to her burns.
____________________

"Okay. Yeah, just give me a call. Well, she's just been admitted into the ER. I mean, she has second-degree burns but the doctors say that she's gonna be fine."

Elena exhales,"How did this even happen?"

"Why don't you ask her? I mean, is it just a coincidence that the loft tried to turn Aria into a s'more right after she arrived?"

Elena's cell phone beeps, "Um... I have to go."

"Who's was that? Hanna? No, it was, uh it-it was my boss. Uh, but I'll call you later. Bye." Elena walked off to the Brew.
_______________________

"Toby. I wasn't sure you would show up." Elena said as she took her seat across from him as he stirred his coffee.

"Yeah, I-I can't stay long, I'm on duty,"

"I know, I am marrying you." Elena joked before getting back onto the serious topic.

"Spencer and Caleb don't know that I'm here."

"If you're, if you're gonna try and get me..." Elena grabbed his hand

"He didn't do it. Okay? He didn't leak it. He's just taking the blame."

"Why?"

"Because A is back. Not "A" exactly, just, uh, some copycat version."

"What?"

"Whoever this is, thinks that we know who killed Charlotte and so they're trying to make our lives miserable because of it. And I'm really sorry, but Yvonne and I was just collateral damage. And Caleb didn't wanna tell you because he didn't wanna put you at risk."

Toby grabbed Elena and held her into a tight embrace as he stroked her hair,"Thank you for telling me. Don't worry, I'll get to the bottom of this."

Elena separated and nodded at his respond, knowing that Toby would be on their side.

"I gotta go," Toby said kissing her cheek as he exited the Brew.

Elena wiped her visible tears as she saw her phone beep again looking down at it

You didn't take me seriously, so I thought I'd light a 🔥 under your ass.