Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

The Substitute Bride

The Sotto Clan was one of the richest and most prominent families in the province of Borlunni. The family owned one of the biggest sugarcane plantations in the country. Hacienda Sotto, which was located on the eastern part of the province in the town of Matra, was comprised of the big mansion house, the vast sugarcane plantation, and the processing building.

For three generations, the family hadn't been in any sort of scandal until April 10, 2011 came. It was the thirtieth birthday of Jose Mari Sotto III. It was also the time when he was to personally announce his wedding engagement to the woman his grandparents and parents had chosen for him to marry since he was a child.

Jose Mari Sotto III, much fondly called as Third, was the third generation landlord of Hacienda Sotto. Jose Mari Sotto I, his grandfather, established the hacienda with his wife Altagrasia. His grandparents only had one son, his father Jose Mari Sotto II. His father only had one son as well with his mother Armida. Third was already managing the plantation as well as the processing area at the age of twenty-three. His grandfather and father both died in a car accident leaving him to take care of his grandmother and mother. His grandmother, Doña Altagrasia, had been paralyzed due to the car accident while his mother, Doña Armida, sustained several fractured bones.

Everyone in the province knew that he was betrothed to Katlyn Alano. The match wasn't of love but they had been seen dating. They had also been seen together attending social gatherings.  It was a match made by their oldies when they were still young.  Everything was set already. Their engagement was to be formally announced on his thirtieth birthday. Their wedding was to follow on May 8, 2011, the same date Third's grandparents and parents got married. The wedding preparations were already ongoing.

Katlyn Alano, fondly called as Kate, was also from a rich and prominent clan in Borlunni. She was beautiful, sexy and smart. She was the liberated type of woman. She worked as an executive in her family's local TV network.

Just an hour before the start of the party in the vast garden of the mansion house of the Sotto Clan, Kate's parents arrived without Kate. The faces of Kate's parents seemed very anxious.

Kate's father said, "We need to tell you something, Third. Let's go to your study room."

Kate's parents, his grandmother, and his mother all entered the study room with Third. They were all properly seated by the couches in the sitting area except for Doña Altagrasia who was seated in an automated wheelchair.

Third immediately asked them, "Where's Kate?"  

Kate's father, Don Teodoro Alano answered, "Kate had run away. She was nowhere to be found. We had been calling her mobile phone but it was off. We already had a search group looking for her. She left this letter for you along with the engagement ring."

The letter had been handed to Third. Kate's letter went like this –

Third,

We both knew that we are to enter a loveless marriage. I am very sorry. But I have to back out while there's still time. Our engagement hadn't been formally announced yet. We both like each other. There's no doubt about it but it's not enough for us to be in a lifetime commitment. Along with this letter is the engagement ring you gave me yesterday. I cannot wear it. I just cannot. It was your family's heirloom handed down from generations. I don't deserve to wear it because I don't love you the way Lola Altagrasia and Mama Armida have loved your Lolo and Papa.