Chapter Seven

CHAPTER SEVEN

The Club

June 4, 2011. Saturday. Iryn, together with Lola Altagrasia and Mama Armida attended the brunch. A small program had been done first to show the history and background of the club and to introduce the new members.

Iryn was one of the five new members that were introduced.

During the socialization, Lola Altagrasia and Mama Armida introduced her to the other members approaching them.

One woman as old as her mother-in-law approached them. The woman looked familiar.

Mama Armida made the introductions. “Iryn, I would like you to meet Former First Lady Margarita Villena. Amiga, she is my daughter-in-law, Iryn Sotto.”

The woman welcomed Iryn in her loving arms and kissed each of her cheeks, “It’s so nice to finally meet the wife of my favorite godson.”

She did the same gesture and said, “It’s an honor to meet you as well, Madam.”

The former first lady told her, “Just call me ninang, Iryn. I’m sorry I wasn’t able to attend your wedding. I was in London to visit my son.”

“Yes, ninang,” she uttered.

“My godson had been so popular lately, amiga,” Third’s godmother had commented.

Mama Armida said, “Well, her breakup with Kate had just been sensationalized.”

Madam Margarita Villena reached out her hands to Iryn’s hands, “I’m glad you’re coping just well, hija. I had seen on TV how you supported Third when the news about Kate’s pregnancy came out. That’s the way to show your man how much you care.”

Lola Altagrasia put in, “We’re really happy about it, Margarita. Iryn had been with us since she was a child. We weren’t aware of their feelings for one another. When Third and Kate broke up, they just got along just fine. I can’t wait anymore to see my grand grandchildren with them.”

Third’s godmother asked, “Are you already pregnant, hija?”

Iryn had answered, “We’re still on the process of trying, ninang.”

Madam Margarita Villena was just one of the few people that hadn’t been mean with her.

When she was in the ladies room, a new member of the club spoke to her.

The new member asked her, “Aren’t you the former private nurse of the Sottos?”

“Yes, I was their private nurse,” Iryn had confirmed it.

“Then you’re also the niece of their former majordoma,” the new member added with the intention of spiting her.

“Yeah,” Iryn just agreed. She had nothing to be ashamed of.

“I wonder how you win the heart of the Sottos. Kate is definitely much prettier, sexier, and smarter than you. Poor Kate she just lost to a maid’s niece,” then that new member left the ladies’ room.

Iryn wanted to cry. She kind of expected these things to happen. She had experienced such scenario in the past. How could she ever survive in the cruel society Third belonged to. She just softly told herself, “Calm down, Iryn. There’s no use in crying. You cannot please everyone.” And then she left the restroom as well.

She also encountered spitefulness from  other members of the club. She had heard them gossiping about her. She also heard snide comments  like –