Chapter 4:Teacher's Pet

I was late again to first period, but surprisingly, this time, Ms. Kamon let me off with a warning.

As I took my seat in the middle row, I could hear murmurs of 'teacher's pet' spreading around the classroom. To clear the air, I most certainly am NOT  any teacher's pet, and plus, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to keep humans as pets. Though, I could be wrong...

I guess it was just the benefit of helping my English teacher's love life that got me a free pass out of detention again. Of course, I couldn't tell my classmates that or else Mr. Todd would overhear from classmates in both his and Ms. Kamon's class. If that happened, he'd classify Ms. Kamon as a stalker immediately---even though she IS, but still...---and then he'd probably move to Alaska and change occupations to be a professional dog sledding champion. Furthermore, my plans would be RUINED, so I just sat quietly, ignoring the whispers of teacher's pet.

Sitting in my seat, I pondered.

What had happened? All I wanted was to make it out of high school alive. No drama, no heartbreak, and definitely, no attention. But helping Ms. Kamon get together with Mr. Todd might have been an one way ticket to just that. As my mother says, love comes at a price. The question was:was I willing to pay that price? Heck no! But...I had to. I already made a promise to Ms. Kamon, and now, there was no way out of it.

Just then, the bell for first period rang, signaling the end of class.

Just in time, I thought to myself.

                                                    ***

All my other classes rushed  by, including AP math. Every other class EXCEPT  English.

Once I reached the cafeteria, I put those thoughts on hold and instead, began focusing on finding the table at which Danon was sitting at. Finally, my gaze locked on a small table near the back. There were a few other girls there, but none that I actually really associated with. The only reason we shared a table was because one, there were a limited amount available, and two, our cafeteria seating was based on "status".

Our group was average in status, so we sat near the back, while the popular kids, such as Perry Mulland(gag!), sat at the tables in the center.

I slowly began my trek over, and after arriving at my destination, started to greet them all, to which they all replied with similar greetings.

"Hey,"I said, taking a seat across from Danon, a bit isolated from the rest of the group. This way they wouldn't overhear our super IMPORTANT conversation.

"So..."she started, taking a minute to wipe her mouth with a napkin."What did you want to tell me?"

"Okay. Last Monday, the first day of school,"I began."I got detention for being late--which I DEFINITELY didn't deserve. Anyways, while I was in detention with Ms. Kamon---"

"Oooh, she's creepy,"Danon stated.

"--Let me continue please. So...as I was saying, I was in detention with Ms. Kamon, and then she started going on and on about Mr. Todd and how she apparently loves him---"

"I knew that lady was crazy,"I heard Danon mutter under her breath before adding an apology and urging me to continue.

"Well, you know how I sometimes speak without thinking?"I asked. Danon nodded slowly, a bit confused as to where I was going."I kind of told Ms. Kanon I could help her win over Mr. Todd..."

"YOU WHAT!?!"yelled Danon. Right then, the whole cafeteria turned their heads in our direction. Way to make a scene...

"Keep your voice down,"I whispered harshly.

"Oooops. Sorry,"Danon apologized, flashing me a sheepish  grin.

Thankfully, all of the cafeteria's attention was soon diverted to Perry Mulland when she, all of a sudden, stood up on her lunch table and began speaking about a party she was throwing. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be happy Perry Mulland was such an attention hogger...

"What were you thinking?"Danon asked, a trace of annoyance lacing her words. "Oh, wait. That's right. You WEREN'T thinking."

Harsh! Guess that was a blow to my confidence.

Danon noticed a minute later the tinge of hurt in my eyes and apologized sincerely.

"I'm sorry, Cracker. I didn't mean that. I was just a bit peeved with what you did."

"It's fine,"I said, accepting her apology."I guess I just got caught up in the moment. Again, like you said, I really WASN'T thinking. Sorry. But now, I can't back down. I already made a promise to help her."

"Alright. Then I guess I'm just going to have to help you with your goal."

"Really!?!"I squealed excitedly. "Thank you SO much!"

I got up to envelop Danon in a huge bear hug and heard her chuckle softly in response. Then, I sat back back down in my seat, remembering I still didn't tell her about Tom.

"Guess what, Danon?"I said.

"What?"she questioned.

"Tom's coming home!"

"Really? No way!"she exclaimed.

Yes way! He's coming this Saturday..."I began, launching into a conversation about all the preparations and other details. 

I guess I was just ecstatic that Danon was going to help me with my 'Ms. Kamon project.'

A/N:Yay! Two updates in a day. 

If you have any advice on how I can improve or ideas on what I should do, please feel free to tell me in the comments section, or just send a message to my inbox. Thanks, and I really do want opinions and comments--whether they're good or bad. Just make sure, if they're really bad ones, they aren't too harsh. :P Anyways, yeah...That's pretty much it!

Oops. Last of all, I want to dedicate this to KourtneyJ. Third follower! Yay! :)