I crept into our hotel room with impressive stealth, but Alli was propped up on a pillow watching TV when I entered.
"Hey, what are you doing up?" It was nearly two a.m.
"What are you doing up?" She pursed her lips.
"Uh, nothing."
"You little slut. Tell me everything." She muted the TV and sat up cross-legged on the edge of the bed.
"Not much to tell." I shrugged and slipped out of my dress in favor of a robe.
"Don't even start with me, Ava. Dish, now." She pointed her manicured little finger at me.
I sighed and sat on the edge of the bed facing her. This morning I had berated her for the same thing. What a hypocrite.
"I'll just say, if Heath is anything like his brother, um, in bed"-I stumbled over the words-"I forgive you, all right?"
"Shut up! Was it amazing?"
"There are no words. Now I just have to figure out how to stay the hell away from him."
"Why? What do you mean?" A frown marred her brow at the mere suggestion.
"We had our moment, but I'm really hoping this is once and done for him, because..." I let my face fall into my hands, which still smelled like him. I breathed in his scent and let the memory of our night settle over me.
"Ava, what?"
I sat up abruptly, as if I'd been caught doing something I wasn't supposed to.
"You were telling me why you want this to stay a one-night-stand," she reminded me.
"I don't know!" I twisted my fingers in my lap. "I just know I could get addicted to that. To him." I gestured to the ceiling, his general direction. I shook off the memories that felt too new, knowing Luke was still perfectly naked, slumbering a few floors away. "I'm a mess. I need to sleep."
Alli nodded, but I caught a coy smile before she switched off the TV and turned over under her duvet.
Grateful for the reprieve, I retreated to the bathroom to shower. The intoxication of being with Luke tapered as the water thrummed my already weak muscles, draining the last of my waning energy. Already he meant too much. A cloud of doubt crept over me.