Chapter IV: Lost Count

Copyright © 2012 Phyre_Confidential (J.B. Roberts)

All Rights Reserved.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Every Story has an End, but in Life every End is a new Beginning.

-Anonymous

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Chapter 4

"Hun, you need more clothes than that for school."

Madelynn and her mother were currently shopping at a strip mall, looking at any store that sold girl clothing-- child clothes. Madelynn hated being so small, but she had to live with it. She didn't mind the fact that her clothes now seemed a little worn out, she wanted her mother to have money for herself. Considering I'm going to a boarding school against my will, you should keep the money so you can live, mother! Madelynn thought bitterly.

As Ellie Swanee was searching through the clothes racks, Madelynn's train of thought went back to the conversation between her and her mother. She couldn't stop thinking about what her mother had said before; 'There will be someone there for you to meet. She will help you, even if she doesn't remember us'. Madelynn's thoughts have gone through all the possible acquaintances that she could be meeting, and wondered if it was a teacher or even a student. She didn't know what to think, or how to find her. Her mother wouldn't tell her a thing, and she was so confused.

"Here sweetheart, lets see this on you," Ellie Swanee held up a green t-shirt, and pressed it against Madelynn's chest, "Hmm... A size larger should work out right," her mother muttered to no one in particular. Another oddball moment for her mother, but Madelynn still loved her, "How about this?" Her mother pulled another shirt from the rack and held it up to Madelynn, "Prefect, add this to the cart," Miss Swanee motioned her daughter to the already full shopping cart.

Madelynn sighed. She wanted to tell her mother that she didn't need new clothing, that shed be just fine. Save the money for yourself. And she did tell her mother that, earlier. It had resulted into a heated argument unfortunately.

"Mother, keep the money, I'm fine!" Madelynn had tried to reason with her mother as they walked by store after store, then turned a corner, "I really don't need new clothes, alright?"

But her mother just shook her head and ignored her justifications, "Sweetie, how can you believe that you'll fit in without proper wear? Your out of style! The mode is right and baggy, no longer slick and long."

Since when does my mom worry about fashion? Madelynn had wondered pathetically, is this an alien pretending to be my mother?

Madelynn tried to drag her mothers thoughts away from shopping, "Mom please--"

"I said no, now leave it," Miss Swanee snapped, than she had looked startled at herself, "I'm sorry sweetheart, I didn't mean to say it like that," she apologized, picking her daughter up and giving her a tight hug.

Madelynn had patter her mothers back, and coed, "Shhh, it's alright mom. And alright, whatever you thinks best."

Now, though, Madelynn was regretting what she had told her mother; because she was going all out in the clothes and accessories.

Madelynn had never really been one to shop, considering the amount of money they had every once in a while, they had to save it for bigger purposes than fashion. They used money every time they left a town or a province, and used money when they arrived. Madelynn had an education, but she was either way behind or way ahead of her classes. It bugged her that she couldn't make any body more than an acquaintance, but she shouldn't care less. After all, who's want to be friends with a girl who runs away with he mother, only to leave precious things in the dust?