Chapter V: Secret Life

Copyright © 2012 Phyre_Confidential (J.B. Roberts)

All Rights Reserved.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Life is about waking up in the morning with regrets.

-Anonymous

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Chapter 5

Crash

Lend jolted up, his ears twitching as he listened for a threat. Another crash, louder this time, sounded somewhere outside the room. He looked and saw Raven sitting up on the bed next to his, woken from the noise as well. He gave her a silent look to show he wanted her to stay put. Raven's bottom lip protruded and she crossed her arms in a pout, but didn't make any move to get off the bed. Lend slipped off the bed and walked cautiously to the door, listening as he did so. Another crash and Lend was out the door in a timed stance for any threat.

Broken plates littered the carpeted floor, and an older woman was cleaning up the white pottery. Lend fathomed that the woman was one of the maids, and that she needed help. So with that thought it mind, he grunted yet bent down and started gathering the pieces of broken plates, throwing them into the trash can she had brought out. The woman looked up and gave Lend a thankful smile. Her greying hair was pulled back into a right bun at the back of her head, and she had a few visible wrinkles. She wore one of the hotels baggy blue uniforms that most of the staff wore, but the cart gave her the title.

"Thank you, young man," the woman's voice cracked and she smiled at him as she stood up. Lend stood and put the last of the broken pottery in the trash can, then handed the can to her.

"No problems ma'am, happy to help," he said politely, his voice was gruff and he coughed once to clear his throat, and then walked back into the room, closing it behind him. He heard as the maid started pushing the cart down the hall, the wheels screeching as they rolled. Lend leaned into the door and sighed in annoyance. Raven stood from the bed and laughs at him. He didn't see what was funny.

"Oh... My god! I'm so scared Lendy! An old woman, oh help! Someone come rescue us from her... Whatever! Ha-ha priceless you know that right Lend?" Raven howled out to him, her laughing for causing her to hiccup. She was holding herself by the end of the bed, but that gave no support and she fell on the floor, clutching her stomach.

Drama queen, Lend thought tiredly, "And what's so funny about that? I was helping her, right?"

"Oh, look at that! *Hiccup* Lend helped someone *hiccup* out! Who'd have imagined they'd *hiccup* see a sight such as that?" Raven giggled and hiccupped again. She was now standing and no longer holding her stomach, "and what *hiccup* I'm laughing about is, *hiccup* that you were about to kill an innocent, *hiccup* sweet old lady maid!"

Lend was confused by that, "And how is that funny? You should be scolding me for overreacting as it is." He scolded her, his tone arching a bit.

Ravens giggles stopped abruptly and her eyebrows knotted together in thought. She hiccupped and jumped, then shook her head. Her shoulders slumped, "I honestly don't know *hiccup*."

Lend couldn't help but laugh at Ravens cluelessness. How could she laugh at something for no good reason then be all confused as to why? It made sense if he thought more of it, but he decided not to and have a good laugh. And he did. He was laughing so hard, he could barely breathe. His eyes were closed tight at the level of his laughing, yet he knew Raven was pouting.