Chapter Five: Kurt

"Yeah, actually the first time I saw it, it was Idina and Kristin! Amazing, right? I've seen it probably four or five times since then, and none of them have been quite as good. Like, you simply cannot beat those two. They are pretty much the two most amazing people to ever grace this unworthy planet with their presence. Wicked just isn't the same without them..." Ava said, her voice dramatic and distant. She paused before taking another lick of her ice cream cone. I was stuck by how much this girl reminded me of one Miss Rachel Berry. She was basically Rachel, minus the diva, plus a bit more passion.

"Oh my Oz, you're kidding!" I squeaked. "I would kill to get to see Idina and Kristin as Elphie and Glinda! Tell me about their performance. I want to know every last detail."

"Alright, alright. Slow down, you two. I'm having trouble keeping up with your crazy conversation," Blaine laughed, scooping a chunk of cookie dough out of the sundae we were sharing.

"Oh, Kurt, they were amazing... I swear, I'm going to be just like Idina one day. She is my role model. Have you seen her in Rent? A-ma-zing. Like, honestly. There is nothing that woman can’t do. Hey, Blaine. Have you seen Wicked yet?"

"Well, no. Not yet. I've listened to all the music and seen enough of it on YouTube, though. And Kurt talks about it only ten times a day. So, I've pretty much seen it. Never live, though." Ava looked up at me with a glimmer in her eye, and I knew she was up to something.

"Let's go to New York. The three of us. Sometime this summer. I can drive us there. I'm a good, responsible driver, I swear it. We can hit Broadway, and see Wicked. I also heard they have a Wicked museum there. With like... original costumes. It will be amazing. What do you think?"

"Yes! Yes, yes, a million times yes,” I nearly shouted. “New York! Two times in one year! Blaine, we have to go! You will adore the city. Blaine's never been to New York, can you believe it, Ava? My Glee club went there for nationals this year, and I had the time of my life. We lost, but it was still amazing. Blaine, can we please go? It'll be so much fun!"

"Please, Blaine?" Ava repeated, batting her eyelashes and making puppy dog eyes that might even rival my own.

"You two are ridiculous. I kind of regret not introducing you the two of you sooner. I can already see that you'll get along famously," Blaine laughed, and Ava and I exchanged a grin. Ava was this altered, enhanced version of my own brain stuffed inside the body of an energetic twenty-six year old girl, and I was enthralled.

"Please tell me that was a yes, Blaine. That better be a yes," Ava threatened. At this point, I, too, had broken out the puppy dog eyes.

"I'll think about it. I don't know if my parents will let me go and stuff. I'll get back to you," Blaine said dismissively.

I took a second to think this over, because something about his response struck me as being a bit odd. He mentioned his parents. Blaine never talked about his parents. They never seemed to care what he was up to, ever. In fact, they were never even around all the times I’ve been over to Blaine’s house. Something like a trip to New York would never have been an issue with Blaine’s parents in the past, so why now? Something was up.

"Aw, Blaine. You are no fun,” Ava pouted. “No, but seriously. Kurt, if Blaine can't make it, you and I could totally take on the city on our own. We'd even be able to hit a couple of designer stores we wouldn't have been able to get away with dragging Blaine around.”

I didn’t think it was possible to love this girl more than I did at that moment.

"Ha, it seems like you two would be better off without me anyway,” Blaine scoffed.

"Aw, of course not, Blainey. It's just that you don't understand fashion like Kurtsie and I do."

"Kurtsie? You're already using pet names? Should I be getting worried? I'd hate to lose my boyfriend to my best friend. That would hurt." Blaine pouted, teasingly.

"Aw, don't worry about it, Blaine. Kurt and I will never ever be anything more than best friends forever. And you are my best friend forever, too. So the three of us can be best friends forever together. Except for you and Kurtsie will be more than friends. So it will be like I'll be best friends forever with you two, and you two will be best friends forever with me, and you two will be in love forever and ever," Ava said in her usual mile a minute speed.

"Yeah, that makes total sense..." Blaine muttered with a smirk. I glanced down at our ice cream, which was totally deprived of cookie dough, and was more milk than ice cream at this point. Ava was just popping the remainder of her ice cream cone into her mouth.

"Hey, Blaine?” I said, getting his attention. “Can we see the polar bears now? I've never seen a polar bear before.”

Ava glanced up. "Actually, I gotta bolt. It's a bit past two, and I got a shift at the gift shop. I'll be out around five, if you guys are still around. Maybe we can catch dinner after?"

I glanced at Blaine questioningly, waiting for his answer. Blaine nodded, smiling slightly.

"Sure, Ava. Do you want to meet outside at closing time?" Blaine asked.

"Sounds like a plan, Stan. I'll meet you out by your car, yeah?" she beamed and Blaine gave a quick nod as affirmation. Ava’s walkie-talkie attached to her belt then beeped, followed by a yell that was undeniably her father giving her a hard time about being late.  She replied to her father with some colorful language before jogging off, turning around as she was leaving to offer us a smile and a wave.

Things with Blaine and I were felt uncomfortably awkward once Ava had gone. Neither of us had anything relevant to say, so we just sat in silence for a minute or so, enjoying the slight summer breeze. He squeezed my hand where our fingers remained intertwined, kissed my forehead and whispered in my ear.

"Polar bears?" I smiled and nodded, and he stood up from the picnic bench. "Come on, I know a shortcut."

As it turned out, Blaine knew the zoo worker who was in charge of all things polar bears as well. At this point in the day, I was surprised to see that Blaine seemed to know every employee at this place by name. This actually turned out to be a great perk, because we were allowed to get up close to the animals. I even got the chance to pet a giraffe. Now I can check that off of my bucket list.

I couldn’t exactly hold back my excitement when we reached the polar bears. I pointed and nudged Blaine’s elbow with a squeal. Blaine laughed.

"Come on, I want to show you something."

He led me around the exhibit, where a white keycard-locked door blocked any entry. When Blaine pulled out a card that I could only assume opened this door, I couldn't quite say I was surprised, but I certainly was not expecting it. I raised an eyebrow at him as he slid the card through the slit and it buzzed and flashed green, but he just returned it with a knowing smile.

We were just about to enter when a deep voice said something from behind us.

"The unicorn exhibit is at the other side of the zoo, fairies."