Chapter Nine: Kurt

Chapter 9: Kurt

{note: mild spoilers for the film Moulin Rouge. I say mild because while it seems like a big spoiler, it's literally the first line in the film}

"And then, he told me he wanted to be alone, and I just thought he meant that he didn't want to talk about his broken ribs, so I just suggested we watch TV together, and he told me he wanted to be alone again and he asked me to leave," I chocked, caught up in a strangled sob. "I didn't know what to do, so I tried to kiss him goodbye or something but he didn't return it or anything, which is so unlike him... So I just left. I don't know what's up with him anymore. He's been acting funny ever since I've gotten back. He's hiding something, I just know it. Oh, God. He doesn't love me anymore! He must have found someone else when I was gone and he just didn't want to tell me! What if he's cheating on me?"

"Woah, hold up! Of course Blaine loves you! He would never ever do anything to hurt you, Kurt. You know that," Mercedes said, pulling me close into a hug. I smiled into her hair, glad to have her as a friend right now. "Although, I do agree that there's something fishy going on with Blaine."

"Yeah, I mean, how do you break two ribs and just ignore them for a week? That must really kill, I don't know how he did it! Covering up something like that is near impossible," Rachel said, playing with the fringe on my dust ruffle while hanging upside down on my bed.

"I don't know how to help him! I can't let him be miserable like this forever, but I can't talk to him about it because that just leads to fights. And with my temper, these fights could be deadly for our relationship. I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do..."

"When are they letting him out of the hospital?" Mercedes asked, plopping down on the bed herself. I considered this in my head. Today was Monday... we went to the zoo on Saturday, so...

"Maybe Wednesday, if his healing stays on track. Or at least that was the news when I left yesterday. Could've changed, I don't know. He's not answering my texts..." I grumbled, miserably lifting my iPhone off of the table and pressing the home button, only to find my wallpaper completely blank of texts. Just Blaine and I, smiling goofily at the camera, me still in my Dalton uniform. We took this picture during my last week. When things were normal between us. I whimpered sadly.

"We are just sad. The three of us all moping about our boy troubles. This sleepover is supposed to make us feel better, not worse," Rachel said, whining.

"Rachel, you aren't having boy problems. It's just Kurtsie and I. Lucky for you, things between you and Finn have never been better," Mercedes snapped. "And I'm not that upset about Sam. I knew that we couldn't keep up a long distance relationship. It's for the better."

I knew Mercedes was just saying that. I'm sure she was really torn up about it. But I had to agree with Rachel, even if she didn't have anything to be upset about.

"Yeah, Rachel's right though. We are sad. We're all awesome, and deserve to be happy. I vote we watch a movie or something. My vote is for Sound of Music."

"Ugh, but that's like a ten hour movie!" Mercedes complained.

"Is not! It's only three hours long..." Mercedes rolled her eyes.

"I vote Moulin Rouge!" Rachel spat out. "I brought it with me! It's in my bag. I always carry it with me. I have an emergency DVD pouch. It also contains Funny Girl, West Side Story, and Rent. You never know."

"I'm with Rachel! Let's watch Moulin Rouge!" I raised an eyebrow at this. Mercedes agreeing with Rachel.

"What's Moulin Rouge about?" Mercedes and Rachel gave me a look of terror.

"Oh, God, Kurt. Please tell me you're joking," Rachel said, barely louder than a whisper.

"Um..."

"Oh, come on, Kurt. Even I've seen Moulin Rouge! And that's saying something, because I don't watch a billion movie musicals like you and Rachel. It's like... one of my favorite movies. Ever."

"Sorry...?" I was a little intimidated by the glares I was being given by my two best friends. "I don't have all the time in the world to watch movies, you know."

"Yeah, but you have plenty of time to organize you're bowties by brand and then subcategorize them by color and then sub-subcatigorize them by pattern. Oh come on, Kurt. It's only the single best movie musical to come out of the 2000s. Nicole Kidman was in it, Ewan McGregor..." Rachel suggested.

"Wait... the Jedi?"

"Okay, Kurt. You need to watch this movie immediately," Mercedes decided, already approaching my DVD player. Rachel whipped out her DVD binder quicker than I thought humanly possible, and handed Mercedes the disc. Soon enough, the three of us were cuddled together on my bed, and the movie began.

Two hours later found the three of us weeping uncontrollably, me more so than the other two, but not by much.

"It probably wasn't a good idea to choose a movie where the main character dies in the end when we are trying to feel happier..." Mercedes said, in between sobs.

"That is the suckiest ending to a movie I've ever seen. And that is saying something, because I've seen My Fair Lady," I sobbed.

"I've seen this movie thirty-four times, and I cry more and more each time. It's so..." Rachel couldn't finish her sentence.

"Beautiful," I choked. "It was beautiful. That's true love, you know. That's true love right there. Satine and Christian... they'll love each other come what may... Even death couldn't stop them from loving each other," Mercedes and I began crying even harder, the subject of Blaine and Sam coming back into the picture.

"And you know what, Kurt? You will love Blaine forever, come what may, too, right?" Rachel asked.

"Of course. No matter what," the statement seemed so blatantly obvious; I didn't put much thought into it. I didn't really consider how true that song was about my feeling for Blaine. "Hey, Rach? Do you have that song on your iPod? " Rachel just laughed, and reached into her bag once more and pulled out her pink iPod and her bedazzled speakers.

She hit a few buttons and pressed play, and the light, almost mysterious music started up, and my mind was entirely consumed. Mercedes and Rachel started singing along with Christian. I tried to follow along, but I didn't quite know all the lyrics yet. I piped in with the chorus, and the sound was so beautifully heart wrenching, we were launched into another fit of tears.

And there's no mountain too high, no river too wide.
Sing out this song and I'll be there by your side.
Storm clouds may gather, and stars may collide,
But I love you until the end of time.
Come what may, come what may,
I will love you until my dying day...

By the end of the night, I knew every lyric, and was able to harmonize with Rachel and Mercedes with such perfection, we'd tear up every time.

I think I found my love song for Blaine.

Suddenly the world seems such a perfect place...
Come what may, come what may,
I will love you until my dying day...