Chapter Sixteen: Blaine

I had never in my life seen anything quite like my boyfriend sugar high.

It was insane, to put it lightly. Kurt giggled and jumped and grinned... I stopped counting how many Pixy Stix he devoured after five or six. And let me clarify that these weren't just the six-inch ones. No, they were the three foot long monster sticks. I mean, I guess I could blame myself for not stopping him, but how was I to know that they would have the effect they did?

Ava, on the other hand, I was not as surprised about. She had been known to act... um... slightly more energetic under the influence of high dosages of sugar. I've been to a decade worth of her birthday parties, complete with candy, cake, and teenage girls... I would know.

So I wasn't surprised in the least when she organized an escape plan with Kurt and Brittany.

"Britt! Hand me the box and I'll make a run for it! You guys follow!" the three of them ran out up the stairs of Rachel's basement and out of the front door so fast, none of us could even tell what had happened. It was a full minute before someone spoke.

"Who wants to go get them?" Quinn groaned. This was followed by another silence.

"Not it. I've dealt with a sugar high Kurt once before. And there is no way in hell I'm doing it again," Finn said after a few seconds.

"I can't go. My chair..." Artie added quickly.

"Mike and I have to, um... leave soon..." said Tina. A couple other people nodded to display their similar intentions.

"I have to watch over the house," Rachel said. "My dads wouldn't want anything to happen in my absence."

"And I don't want to," Santana snapped. I've only met Santana a handful of times, but I could definitely tell that that girl did not hold anything back. "I'll leave the duty of locating the sugar drunk runaways to you losers. I'm out. Who's coming with?" And then everybody got up and followed her up the stairs and out of the door, except for me, Rachel, Mercedes, Finn, and Artie.

"So..." I tried to break the silence. "Who wants go and try to find them?"

"Nobody wants to. I vote we just leave them there. Wherever they are." Artie replied, gathering his things and rolling towards the stairs. Rachel and Finn immediately helped Artie get his chair up the stairs, and Mercedes and I followed them up, keeping the conversation going.

"Yeah, man. I mean... They'll wake up and come find us eventually," Finn said.

"Woah, wait." I said, a bit taken aback. "They're gonna fall asleep?"

"Undoubtedly," Artie said, reaching the top of the landing. "One time, I gave Britt a huge bucket of gummy bears. She only got one-fourth of the way through before she passed out."

"Yeah. And I saw Kurt that one time at my birthday. He had a huge sugar rush... I mean it wasn't as bad as this one but he wouldn't stop talking. He sang me happy birthday in eight different languages. English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Chinese, Pig Latin, and I don't even know what the last one was. It sounded like... a drunk Chewbacca. And then he had one of the biggest sugar crashes I've ever seen. He just collapsed on the couch and like... died or something. He slept for almost twelve hours..."

"You guys are awful. I actually care about my friends. If they are passed out on the side of the road, I think we should go pick them up," Mercedes said with an roll of her eyes. I was glad she was willing to do it, I guess. Because from the sound of it, it didn't seem like an easy or pleasant task. I mean... I love Kurt and Ava but if they are passed out from too much sugar, I don't know how I'd get them home...

"It sounds like they're drunk and hung-over or something," I commented with a slight smirk.

"Sugar is alcohol to Kurt and Britt. That's why Kurt never eats it and also why we try to keep it away from Britt at all costs."