Chapter Twelve: Blaine

Chapter 12: Blaine

There is a moment when you say to yourself "oh, there you are. I've been looking for you forever".    

Having Kurt right here, his arms holding me close and his lips whispering sweet, comforting words in my ear... It makes me live that moment all over again. And I know for sure that this is love.               

"It'll be okay, sweetie. I promise, we'll get through this. Together."               

"Kurt, I'm scared," I didn't mean for the words to come out like they did. I mean, yes, I was scared. Really scared, actually. But the way I said it made me sound so incredibly weak and vulnerable, which I was really trying not to be. I wanted to be strong, or at least look strong so Kurt could look up to me. I know how much he needs somebody like that, given his past experiences at McKinley. I wanted to be strong enough for the both of us.               

"I know, sweetie. It's okay. It'll be okay," his hands stroked my hair with a soft touch that seemed to be uniquely Kurt. I liked it. He whispered again, just barely audible. "It's okay. I love you."               

Those words were all I needed. I pulled away from Kurt's grasp and looked him in his eyes. He was crying. I realized that I was crying, too. That's when I knew exactly how much we both needed each other. I needed him just as much as he needed me, and we would always be there for each other, forever and always.               

We kissed. It was a beautiful kiss. It was deep and passionate and just... love. It was Kurt and Blaine needing each other more than air, and acting on it. It was nothing more than just a kiss; it didn't need to be any more.               

And for that moment, my troubles seemed nonexistent.               

But it was only a moment.               

"Boys, it's been five-" my dad opened the door and paused in horror. My heart stopped and Kurt and I seperated in a heartbeat, leaving a good three feet between us. Kurt's face was now an even brighter shade of pink- flushed and tear-stained. He looked at me, his eyes ablaze with pure fear. "Hummel, go home now. Don't touch my son ever again. You hear? If I find that anything, and I mean anything is going on between you and Blaine, I will hurt you."               

The tears started again. This time they weren't quiet, sad, remorseful tears, but hot, angry, and terrified tears. I couldn't stand it.               

Kurt turned around to head back to the driveway but stopped dead in his tracks. It took barely a second for me to register the fact that Mercedes' car was missing.               

"They left without me," Kurt whispered, loud enough so only I could hear. Panic set in immediately. I had to say something to my father, but I already knew what his response would be, and I couldn't have that. But then again, what other choice did I have?               

"Kurt's ride is gone," I addressed my father with caution. His faced angered once again and I was afraid. I had every right to be. My dad swore loudly. He'd been drinking. I could smell it in his breath. I shuddered.               

"Kurt, get in the car. I'll drive you home."               

"No, Dad! You're drunk! It's not safe!" I protested. But it was too late. My father grabbed Kurt by his forearm and dragged him to his car. I tried to fight him, pull him back and let Kurt free, but my father was larger and stronger than me. It was pretty much pointless.               

My father punched my hard in the face, and it burned... The scars from the attack at the zoo were struck again and this time it hurt even more. I let out a pained cry and fell to the ground helplessly.  

Kurt's expression was just pure horror. He was crying hysterically and doing a sort of hyperventilating type breathing that I'd never seen him do before. And that is when he snapped.         

In a burst of fury, Kurt ripped himself away from my father and gave him a blow harder than you would ever suspect to come from a boy as seemingly fragile as Kurt. My father collapsed onto the ground as I stood up, generating a rather loud thump as his head hit the pavement.               

I rushed to Kurt. I couldn't think of anything else to do. I just stood next to him, stroking his face as both of us cried.               

"Why didn't you tell me, Blaine?" Kurt whispered in such a way that my heart was shattered.               

"I wanted you to be safe, Kurt. If you'd have gotten into that car... I wouldn't have seen you again." I paused, taking in all of my boyfriend's beauty. "I love you so much. More than you know."              

I kissed him gently, but only gently because my face was killing me. He returned the kiss, but even gentler than me.               

"I love you, too."               

"Kurt, I need you to call Mercedes. Have her pick you up and take you home. I'll bring my dad inside and get him settled. He's drunk, so by the time he wakes up he won't remember anything," I paused and he nodded. "You can't tell anybody, though. Please, Kurt. It's important." Kurt let out a whimper and I pressed our foreheads together. We stayed like this until Kurt pulled away and pulled out his phone.               

Kurt made something up along the lines of "Blaine is busy, and I figured that since you guys aren't that far away you could just turn around and pick me up real quick". While we waited, I brought my dad in and set him up on the couch. It was pretty hard to do, but Kurt helped me.               

 It took Mercedes and Rachel about ten minutes to get back. I watched Kurt leave from the living room window.               

After he'd gone, I went out to my front lawn, not sure of what else to do. My eyes wandered to where Kurt and I had stood together barely twenty minutes ago, kissing out of love. And something caught my eye.               

A bedazzled iPod speaker.               

It wasn't Kurt's. The iPod wasn't Kurt's either.               

I picked it up and pressed the play button.               

I recognized the song immediately.               

And there's no mountain too high, no river too wide.

Sing out this song and I'll be there by your side.

Storm clouds may gather, and stars may collide,

But I love you until the end of time.

Come what may, come what may,

I will love you until my dying day...               

I've never loved anyone so much in my life.