Chapter Nineteen

Once the sun managed to rise it burned brightly, washing Buckland in a warming light that was just a touch warmer than the town's residents were used to for that time of year. Milo wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. No one really wanted to be outside in the cold late autumn/early winter air to do anything, let alone train for being a Hero. On the other hand, no one really wanted to be exerting themselves in the warm sun either. Milo supposed they couldn't ask for better Hero training weather, if there was such a thing as good Hero training weather.

Milo's mother had taken Milo, Bill, Cali, and Captain Amazing out for an early lunch before they were to meet Acolyte Seven at Wilson's Meadow on the outskirts of town. Bill was only allowed to join them for lunch and their training session because they all knew they wouldn't be able to keep him from tagging along. Milo worried that it would only work to make Bill a little jealous, but he was also somewhat glad to have his old friend by his side through everything. Besides, there was always the chance that Bill would activate sometime soon anyway, so him being able to sit in on Seven's training sessions even when he didn't have powers was only going to benefit him in the long run.

They had all eaten lunch in relative silence. Milo knew it should have been a happy, even exciting, occasion but there was a foul air between them. He didn't know what it was, but he could tell they all felt it. Cali had retreated inside herself since the previous night when she had accidentally revealed her powers to Milo and Bill in a fit of annoyance. Her brooding mood had rubbed off on her friends. Captain Amazing didn't speak much either because he was focusing both on his rather delicious cheeseburger and Milo's lack of true Power. Milo had no idea of the latter of course. It would have only served to make him more self-conscious. Brooke didn't speak much, but that was nothing new. She didn't often contribute to a conversation when in a group.

When they arrived at Wilson's Meadow after an uncomfortable lunch, Acolyte was standing in the middle of the field completely immobile. There was a large pyramid of hale bales behind him, and several of the bales had been stacked end on end in a row off to one side. The curious group piled out of the silver mini-van, their silence still in effect, but the apprehension was growing. Milo had never seen a hay bale look so menacing.

What's the worst that could happen? He thought to himself. The image of Devon Macledowny sailing through the front of the Culpepper house swam into mind. Milo shuddered at what he was capable of.

Captain Amazing led the way into the field and up to where Seven was standing. The rest of the group trailed behind him, straggling on purpose.

"Welcome, everyone," Acolyte Seven said to the group once they had gathered in front of him. He looked to Cali and Bill. "I see we have some additional company that I was not expecting." He tilted his head curiously at Cali who did not meet his gaze. "And it appears one of them has also activated. Before Milo, too, if I'm not mistaken."

They all turned to Cali in astonishment. She hadn't said anything to any of them. She probably wouldn't have if she hadn't lost her temper and lifted off the ground. Why would she keep it to herself, Milo wondered. It was amazing, or, at least it was supposed to be. Milo didn't feel the least bit jealous that he wasn't the first to activate. He was too consumed with worry for his friend. She was wrestling with something, and he felt helpless. The feeling was awful.

"Your name, ma'am?" asked Seven, stepping over directly in front of Cali.

"Calliope," she answered him, keeping her eyes averted. "Calliope Bishop."

"Bishop," Seven repeated. His voice trailed off into a tense silence. Cali finally looked up and met the jet black eyes of the An'Fari Acolyte in front of her. A long moment passed where no one made a sound. Even the world around them seemed to go silent as the rest of the group watched the silent exchange of a young girl and an extra-terrestrial.