Chapter Thirty Four

"What are you doing here, Captain?" Pulsar demanded, not entirely as incredulous as he sounded. "And how did you do that. I thought your powers failed a long time ago."

Captain Amazing shrugged. "Nothing a little will power can't overcome, I guess. You kids okay?"

They all nodded as they formed a half circle around him. Not a single one of them expected to see Captain Amazing joining them, especially not with such a grand entrance like the one he'd just made. It buoyed their confidence now that the old Hero was going to be fighting by their side.

"Have we found Xander," Captain Amazing asked them, "or, more importantly, Destructo?"

Before any of them could answer, a booming voice cut through the eerie quiet of the warehouse.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't my old nemesis." Destructo's voice echoed off the bare walls. The small group of Heroes turned their eyes upward. Destructo was slowly descending into the room on a polished metallic platform that wasn't connected to anything. In front of him was a small set of controls that clearly operated the free motion platform. Kneeling on the platform next to him, bound and gagged, was Xander. One of his eyes was bruised and swollen and a stream of blood was running down the side of his face. Despite his condition, he was alert, terror and relief welling in his eyes when he saw Captain Amazing and the others.

"I must admit," Destructo continued, "that I did not expect to see you here tonight, Captain. Just like old times, eh, friend?"

The platform set down gently on the concrete floor of the warehouse, but Destructo didn't step off of it. He was bedecked in full regalia. His uniform was vibrant in the dim light of the warehouse. The emblem on his chest seemed to glow faintly with a sickening light. His dark eyes peered out from the opening in his helmet that acted as a psionic deterrent. Compared to Captain Amazing, Destructo didn't look like he'd aged a single day since he was put away.

"Why don't you step over here," Amazing said hatefully, "and I'll show you how good of a friend I think you."

Destructo clucked his tongue. "Such violence," he said comically. "You should think better of speaking to the man who will be emperor of the world in less than twenty minutes."

"That's not going to happen," Pulsar blurted out. "Just give up and hand over the control to the nanobots. This doesn't have to get any more violent."

Destructo considered Pulsar with an empty curiosity.

"And what do you call yourself, young Hero," he asked, his voice tinted with amusement.

"Pulsar," replied Pulsar confidently.

"Hmm..." Destructo mused. "I like it. It's unfortunate that your career should come to such an abrupt end."

"Leave them out of this," Amazing cut in. "This is between you and me, and we both know it. So why don't you step off that little go kart of yours and we'll deal with this like real men, huh?"

Destructo narrowed his eyes at Captain Amazing. There was a long moment of silence in which he appeared to be considering the proposition.

"Fine," he said finally. "We'll settle this the old fashioned way. Time, it appears, has not been kind to you. I wonder if your advanced age has affected your old strength. Do you really think you can stand against me? You're an old man."

Captain Amazing shrugged. "Then this should be easy for you."

Destructo stepped off his platform and left Xander alone.

"See to Xander, you three," Amazing instructed them without taking his eyes off Destructo. "Do not get involved with this fight in any way. If he somehow manages to take me down, you'll get your chance. You are not to step in unless I'm dead, do you understand?"