Chapter Twenty Five

"You could have been killed!" Barton raged at the three teenagers sitting sullenly on the sofa in front of him. They had gotten quite the earful from Milo's mother on the way home from their adventure in Cleveland. Most of what she had to say was related to the fact that she came out of Old Stone Church to find an empty mini-van and quite a bit of commotion coming from down the street. It wasn't so much that they had put themselves in danger. She was more upset at them for disobeying her and getting out of the mini-van. Milo's father, whom Brooke had called after she had said her piece, was fully aware of the danger they had faced and how fool hardy they had been.

"You've had two weeks of training," he continued, his face red with anger. "Bill hasn't even had a day. Do you have any idea what could have happened in there? Do you have any idea what it would have done to any of your parents if you'd have been hurt, killed?"

Milo raised his eyes enough to look around the living room he'd spent very little time in during the course of his life. His mother was leaning against the door jamb that led to the kitchen, a look of stern remonstrance on her face. Acolyte Seven was seated in an armchair across from the sofa. He looked on at them as if it were the most fascinating thing in the world. Captain Amazing stood next to Seven. He was grinning like a madman. No doubt the kids' antics had made him a proud great-grandpa. Calliope and Bill's parents hadn't been informed of the day's events just yet. Milo knew his parents would be torn on whether or not to tell them. They were Brooke's responsibility, and she had let them waltz – almost literally – into the most dangerous situation they could find. It wasn't exactly something you talk about openly.

"I have half a mind to ban you from training at all, Milo," Barton threatened. "Bill, Cali, I have no control over your punishment, but I will be strongly recommending it as well to your parents when I speak to them."

"Hold on there, Barty," Captain Amazing piped up. "I can't say that I completely disagree with you that what they did was stupid. They could have gotten hurt or worse. But that's part of being a Hero. Keeping them from training is only going to make it more likely that they'll get hurt. Maybe we should get their side of the story."

Everyone in the room turned their eyes from Captain and moved them back onto the three teenagers.

"So, Milo," Captain Amazing urged, "why did you go into the building without thinking about the consequences."

Milo felt his face getting hot. That was the most difficult part to explain. Parents weren't often open to the idea that you faced danger head on because you just felt like you had to. No, not had to. He had the responsibility to. He'd tried using similar excuses before for much less dangerous shenanigans and it only garnered an eye roll from his mother and a nice two week grounding.

"I don't know," he stammered. "I just..."

"It's alright, Milo," Seven said comfortingly. "There's no wrong answer."

That rewarded him with glares from both of Milo's parents, but it only helped Milo muster up a bit of courage.

"Cali and I went in," he started, "because we had to. I don't know how to explain it exactly. I could just feel it deep down in my gut. All I could think was how I was given powers for a reason. I had a responsibility to help innocent people if they were in trouble. I know that might seem crazy, but it's the truth. It was just an irresistible urge to help the hostages, to see them home to their families. Now that I say it out loud, it seems even crazier."

Seven turned his gaze to Cali.

"And you Calliope," he asked her flatly, "did you feel the same?"