Chapter Twenty Two

Calliope Bishop to the office please, a voice came through the halls from the PA system. Calliope Bishop to the office.

"Uh oh," Bill chided Cali jokingly. "Someone's in trouble."

Cali gave Bill a bemused look.

"Ha ha," she replied humorlessly. "I'm sure I'm in so much trouble. I wonder what's up?"

Milo shrugged. "I'm sure it's nothing," he suggested. "Probably some award for being a model student or some crap. They're always calling you to the office for stuff like that."

Cali nodded absently. Not once had she ever been called to the office to be rewarded for being a model student and Milo knew that very well. She knew he was kidding, but there was something ominous about that announcement. She couldn't quite put her finger on what it was, but a feeling of dread had crept over her. She had a sudden urge to fake sick and go home, but it would require her going to the office to tell someone and that was the exact place she was trying to avoid. She would just have to face the music. Cali figured she was probably being silly anyway, making a mountain out of a mole hill.

"I guess I'll catch up with you guys later," she said to Milo and Bill, and walked back down the hall the way they had come to main corridor of the building where the office was.

The principal's office was separated off from the main corridor by several floor to ceiling glass panels. Up against the glass on the inside was a row of cheap plastic chairs in the school's colors, red and white. The office itself was separated by another bank of floor to ceiling windows that separated the reception area from the principal and vice-principal's offices. Cali could see Mr. Bradley and Mr. Schultz in their respective offices working diligently at whatever it is that principals and vice-principals do. She had been too distracted to notice the young man sitting in the plastic chairs alone as she had walked up. As she entered the office, however, their eyes met instantly.

He wasn't any older than her or one of her friends. He had a shaggy mop of dark brown hair that was almost black. His eyes matched his hair exactly, making them look as if they had no iris, just two big pupils sucking in light like a vacuum cleaner. He was wearing a pair of jeans that fit well, but hung low on his hips and a t-shirt for one of Cali's favorite bands under a light blue hoodie. She stood in the entrance for time on end while the young man looked her directly in the eyes. A torrent of emotions washed over her in an instant. She felt cold, alone, hopeless...excited. How could a simple look make her feel like that?

"Cali," one of the receptionists said, snapping Cali out of her trance. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah," she agree, blinking herself back to reality. "Everything's fine."

"This is Xander Tabernacle," the receptionist told her. "Mr. Bradley would like you to show him to his classes today. Here's his schedule."

She held out a small rectangle of paper, and Cali crossed the room to the desk to take it from her. She looked over it briefly. The schedule was almost identical to Milo's. The only class they didn't have together was Biology.

"Ok, no problem," she said to the receptionist and turned to Xander who was now standing.

He gave her and uninterested look.

"Hi, Xander," she said happily. "I'm –"

"Calliope Bishop," he said for her. "I heard the announcement. Pretty name. Greek muse of epic poetry, right?"

Cali nodded hesitantly. No one had ever known that. It was kind of a random bit of information to just have rattling around in your brain. Who was this guy? He certainly wasn't like any of the other guys at Buckland. His presence alone stirred things in her she'd never felt before. It was terrifying and exciting all at once. Cali couldn't help but notice how much she enjoyed the feeling.