XIV

Sadness is realising just how broken a person is, and that you made them that way.

Parker swerved into the off ramp, speeding thirty-six miles per hour over the speed limit. Parker's knuckles turn white as he grips the steering wheel, his vision blurry with tears. Fear gripped his heart like a vice. His dimpled smile is no where to be seen as he speeds up to nearly sixty miles per hour over the limit.

Parker finally arrived at the house, rushing through the yellowed grass, to the front door. He knocks once. Twice. Three times. Soon he's knocking incessenatly, his fist pounding on the door. Then he smashes his fist so hard onto the door it splinters, smashing into hundreds of peices onto the disgustingly stained grey carpet.
Parker searched the entire house for Paradise, eventually coming to the bathroom door where a cold gust of air pushed underneath the old wood. Parker tried the knob, but discovered that the door was locked. Parker began pounding on the door, eventually resorting to kicking it down. Parker looked into the bathroom, and his heart dropped into his stomach at what he saw.

An ellaborate ruse of large shirts and baggy pants and long sleeves rubbing against new cuts and playing with sickly looking greenish mashed potatoes and lying on the cold, dirty, cracked linoleum floor in a puddle of her own tears and blood. Angry red slashes on wrists, and the sadness that was held in each of the purple bruises that littered her perfectly imperfect face and closed icey blue eyes that reminded him of frozen lakes and clear skies, and dark circles under those eyes that were cold, but not hateful, with words that were a symphony of melody and beautiful harmony.

His eyes surveyed the array of injuries carefully, and he began to grow confused. Most of the injuries were days, weeks, even months old. And quite a bit of the cuts on her wrists, thighs, and stomach seemed self inflicted.

He lifted her, carrying her to yhe livingroom, his hand reaching to jis cellphone. He does something he hadn't done since the accident. He dialled a number. "HELP, MY GIRLFRIEND TRIED TO - TO" Parker couldn't seem to finish his sentence, instead collapsing to his knees next the unconscious girl on the couch. "To what sir?" the person on the other end asks, only parker cannot hear them. "MY GIRLFRIEND- PARADISE. GREENE TRIED TO KILL HERSELF. WE NEED AN AMBLUANCE AT 7383 LEVI DRIVE OFF ALDEN STREET." Parker then hung up the phone, patiently waiting for the ambulance, carrying Paradise onto the decrepit front lawn with the yellowed grass and cracked concrete driveway.

The ambluance arrives.  Two white coated men pulled Paradise on a stretcher, putting her into the van.
Parker fights to get close to her, screaming to stay with his beloved Paradise. "NO! NO PLEASE, LET ME GO WITH HER" he screams, fighting against the police officers holding him. "I'll come back" Paradise whispers to him barely hanging on to the mortal cool, still not realising that he can't hear her.

Something broke inside Parker that day. The sweet, loving, beautiful boy  with the brown eyes that remind a certain girl of hot chocolate and warm mahogany fires that burn a little too bright who looks like kindness, but smells of cigarettes and mistakes. Who's voice is sweet and silky, but sounds of deceit died on the decrepit front lawn with the yellowed grass and cracked concrete driveway that day. And a monster entered his body.