Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

Juliet's pov:

People say that you should make the most out of your teenage years, and for the longest time all I've ever wanted to do was go out and experience new things, but I've come to the realization that as long as I live under the same roof as my adoptive parents, I will never live the life I dream about.

You see, I never got to meet my biological parents. I don't know my mom's eye color or my dad's favorite dish. Sometimes it makes me upset, but then I remember that we didn't meet for a reason. They left me in the hands of these people and walked away. Don't get me wrong, I still have intrusive thoughts such as:

"do I have any siblings out there?"

"Do my parents wonder how far I've come in life?"

"Are they even alive?"

However, a few months ago, I started working a part-time job at my local pub to keep myself distracted from these undesired thoughts. The extra cash helps too. I'm saving up to attend university one day.

Now let me tell you a little about my abusive and adoptive parents, Lucy and David. Over the years, they have shown zero interest in me or my mental health. They spend most of their time watching television when they're not abusing me. I fear them when they're in a bad mood because I become their punching bag. It hurts me deeply because on top of the physical abuse, i am also met with harsh words such as:

"You are not good enough"

"You are so ungrateful"

"We should have never took you in"

Any decent human being would think that it's messed up. They are far from decent.

* * *

I yawned as I made my way past my dirty laundry towards the bathroom. I took a quick shower and I put on a dark blue blouse with white jeans and a pair of red toms. I brushed my dark, dirty blonde hair and styled it into a neat ponytail before I headed to the kitchen.

As I stepped into the kitchen, I felt Lucy's eyes piercing me from across the kitchen. I avoided eye contact and silently walked to the fridge to grab some yoghurt to eat on my way to school.

"Juliet go change into a sweater! No one wants to see your skin." Lucy pointed at my neck while giving me a look of disgust, a look which I grew accustomed to.

when you live with a person as vile as her, you know better than to argue. I quickly left and went to change into a knitted sweater. I took a deep breathe and left without breakfast, just to avoid her.

Till this very day I don't understand why Lucy and her jerk of a husband, David, adopted me. They treat me like I'm dirt. No one deserves to be treated this way.

My only friend in school is Sasha, and we barely talk. All we do is sit together during lunch and eat silently.

I took of my earphones as soon as I entered the school and walked towards my locker. As usual, Sasha was standing in front of her locker, which is right next to mine by the way, and trying to pry it open.

I swear it's a whole freaking work out trying to open her locker. Works better than Chloe ting's weight loss work out if you ask me. I greeted her with a simple hello and helped her open her locker, the. I proceeded to grab my books for my first lesson of the day.

• • •

After a long dull day at school, I ran to the gym's changing room so I could get ready for my job at the pub. I changed into my short beige dress and black strapped heels. I took my hair out of the ponytail and I did a light make up look. I snuck out of the school's back gate and I made my way to the bombe pub.

As soon as I entered the pub, I was met with desperate drunks. I pushed past them and I went inside the staff room, looking for Kayla, my shift partner.
"Jules! Let's go take orders together!" Kayla said, pulling me into a tight hug. I nodded and followed her into the crowd. We then started taking orders.

"You look like you have good taste. Pick my drink for me." An old guy flirted with me as he came closer towards me. His breath heavily reeked of whiskey.

Not today my friend.

I faked a smile and went to get him a beer.
When I returned, everyone's gaze was directed towards the two guys who had just entered the pub. I couldn't see them properly, but I caught a glimpse of green eyes.

I walked towards them to get a closer look out of curiosity. The guy on the left had broad shoulders and muscular arms. His tanned skin and brown hair caught my attention. Not to mention that his green eyes and sharp jawline were to die for!

The blonde guy on the right was nowhere near  as attractive as the one with brown hair, but he was not too bad either. I watched them as they both sat in a booth at the back of the pub.

"Go get their orders!" Kayla said, wiggling her eyebrows.

"uh no..you go.." I said nervously.

"Come on! We don't get hot guys everyday!" She said. I sighed in defeat and I bit my lower lip.

What if I embarrass myself?

Or what if he thinks that I'm a slut? I mean I wouldn't blame him- wait why do I care?

Will he think that I am a gold digger? I'm not a god digger-

Ugh! Overthinking really stresses me out. My anxiety doesn't help either.

I walked towards their booth and before I even got to reach their table, the brunette guy turned around and looked at me.

He looked at me!

Wait why is he looking at me like that?

"May I take your orders?" I asked nervously.

He growled and whispered something that I didn't quite catch. I swallowed the lump in my throat and I looked away anxiously.

"No thank you, we will order something later." The blonde guy answered me politely.

I nodded and I swiftly made my way towards Kayla who was spying on me from the bar.

"Kayla there's something off about these guys." I said as I looked at them again.

"What do you mean?" She asked, confusion written all over her face.

"I don't know but I can sense it. Hey! Don't forget I have psychic abilities!." I joked. She patted my head and chuckled.

No but I genuinely think something is off about these guys.

Maybe I'm overthinking it as always.. sigh

A/N Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! It only gets more interesting :))

Don't forget to vote! x