Chapter 11

I hadn't experienced a sleep that refreshing since before high school. I sat up in the bed, pushing the heavy covers off of me. Mrs. Vasquez must have put them on me after I had fallen asleep. She was a kind women and her presence made me miss my own mother.

Looking out the room, I took in the appearance for the first time. The walls were painted a sea foam green with pale cream accents all throughout the room. Two large windows faced the back of the house, hugged by large and fluffy curtains. The dressers were also cream colored with gold trimming outlining the perimeter of the wood. A large mirror sat over one of the dressers but luckily, I couldn't see myself in it at that moment. The bed comforter was a beautiful floral pattern with pale pink flowers decorating the hefty cover draped over me.

This room reminded me of one from my grandma's house but it was appreciated, it made me feel at home.

I flipped my legs over the edge of the bed, letting my bare feet fall onto a surprisingly soft carpet which was also a light cream color. The black nail polish on my toe nails was a drastic contrast against the carpet, also making my skin look substantially paler than it should be.

A quick check at the clock showed that it was already noon. I quickly brushed my hair out of my face before I stood up from the bed. I was dressed in a pair of Marisol's grey sweat pants which were surprisingly baggy around my legs, and a white t-shirt with the Daytona symbol branded across the front. The outfit was definitely comfy but it felt odd wearing Lucas' little sister's clothes. Maybe I should just bring an overnight bag and keep it here in case this sort of thing happened again.

And I had a suspicion that it would.

Without seeing any way to fix my ratty hair or bad breath, I strolled across the room and exited into the hallway. The guest room was at the end of the hall way, past all the rooms where Lucas' family slept. But all of the doors were closed so I couldn't see into them, and I wasn't about to go snooping around a crime families house.

At the end of the hallway, I reached the landing which looked out over the foyer. Mr. Vasquez stood here the first night I met him. That night felt so long ago, years, eternities.

I let my hand slide down the railing as I descended the stairs, my bare feet gently patting against each smooth, wooden step. The entire house was rather quiet, silent even. Except for one noise I could hear coming from my left, voices. I turned left and strolled into the kitchen, sniffing the air. I knew that I smelled eggs and bacon.

Lucas was standing in front of the oven, wearing nothing but a pair of sweatpants hanging curiously low on his well defined hips. I crept silently towards the island in the kitchen where a few stools were placed around the table, and took a seat.

Music was playing from his phone which rested on the countertop in front of me. It was playing Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne, nice selection if I do say so myself. The song reached the chorus and Lucas began singing along, somewhat dancing as he bounced his hips back and forth. A smile fell over my face, I was still upset at him but I couldn't help it. Seeing him so carefree was new territory. Seeing him so happy was entirely unheard of honestly.

Just to mess with him, I picked up his phone and waited until the long stretch of vocals neared. Then right before Ozzy could belt it out, I hit the pause button. The music silenced but Lucas' poorly pitched voice sounded through the kitchen.

Confused, he set the pan of eggs down and turned to fix the music, but jumped when he saw me sitting there. I smiled again as his own grin grew, "Kimber. I didn't know you were awake."

"I didn't know you could sing." I answered, setting his phone back down and folding my arms on the table top.

He chuckled and leaned to his elbows on the counter as I was, "I can't, weren't you listening just now?"