Chapter 27

"This thing is called a bean?" Lucas questioned, staring up at the architectural wonder that was almost famous within Chicago's streets. While I was glad to be showing him around the city, I felt a pang of sorrow knowing that the last time Lucas was in Chicago he was only here to witness his father overseeing deals. Because of that, I decided to make it my duty to show Lucas all the good things in Chicago.

    I sauntered to his side, hugging his arm to my chest, "Yes, the sculpture's real name is Cloud Gate but I've always called it The Bean. It's a proud part of Chicago."

    When Lucas still seemed skeptical, I pulled him closer to the shiny surface where everyone took photos of their reflections. Eventually I managed to convince him that it truly was a bean, even though he said it looked more like a deflated balloon. But in all honesty, I was just glad to see him enjoying himself for once instead of worrying about everything.

    Sure, we were in a tough spot when it came to finding Clint and saving Lucas' life but I had faith that everything would work out in the end. Because if I didn't believe in that statement with all of my heart, Lucas would die and Clint would win. I couldn't allow that, not when we had come so far since the first day I met Lucas. We were fighters, each and every one of us, and we wouldn't rest until Clint was either locked behind bars or buried six feet under.

    Luckily, Clint wasn't in Chicago so we were able to wander around the city for hours without worrying about being attacked. I showed Lucas all my favorite places; Navy Pier, the beach, and some of my favorite shopping spots. We ate lunch at the Rainforest Cafe then headed out for more sightseeing. My house was conveniently located in the suburbs just outside of Chicago so it didn't take too long to get to the city.

    "What's this place?" Lucas asked, nodding towards a building off to the side that was relatively vacant. It was empty because the students and staff were on Thanksgiving break.

    How did I know?

    "That's my old high school." I informed, surprised to see the familiar building looking so refreshed. The school board must have done a few renovations after my class graduated. People were probably hesitant to sign their children up for school after what happened so I could only assume the school board fixed up the building in an attempt to prove the students safety was secure.

    Lucas stiffened next to me, his arms tightened around shoulders, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked."

    "Don't be silly, how could you have known?" I replied, taking in the new sign stationed in front of the school's main entrance which read: In memory of Peggy Smith and Laura Green, with pretty flowers and designed carved into the stone as well. Those were the two lunch ladies who had been killed.

    I often found myself wondering what those two women would be doing if they hadn't been shot. Would they be with their family or friends? Would they be walking around Chicago as I was now? They were both fairly young, too young to end up the way they did. I now know that there was nothing I could have done to stop the shooting but it didn't make reality any easier.       

    I felt Lucas kiss my temple, "I'm still sorry."

    "They're in a better place anyways." I answered, wrapping my arms around myself as a chilly breeze tossed my hair around my shoulders. Chicago winters were harsh but the chill I felt at that moment came from something else. It came from the memory of watching a bullet fire from a gun and bury itself deep into the chest of a young women whom had done nothing wrong.

    "I know you said that the shooting doesn't bother you anymore...but do you want to talk about it? Might make you feel better." Lucas offered, squeezing my shoulder in comfort as if to prove he was there for me.