Chapter 19

"Excuse me? On what charges?" Lucas demanded, finally climbing off of the police officer he had pinned to the ground. I remained as still as a brick wall, I was too scared to move. Not so much for my own safety but for Lucas'. I've been around men in uniform my entire life, my dad belonged to a world where the law reigned above all else. I belonged to that same world.

But Lucas wasn't. He was from a world where the law was meant to be broken, in fact encouraged so. He didn't trust police officers, he didn't trust anyone.

"I'm sorry sir but that information is classified as of right now." The first cop announced as his partner pushed himself back to his feet.

Lucas crossed his arms, moving until he was standing protectively in front of me, "You can't do that, I have rights. I demand to know what charges I'm being arrested for."

"Well, then how about assaulting a police officer for starters." The second cop growled, grabbing Lucas by the front of his shirt and throwing him down onto the hood of his car. I yelped unexpectedly when I heard the dull thud of Lucas' body slamming against his car.

Lucas struggled against the officer only for a moment before the bright silver cuffs were clasped around his wrists. I saw Lucas wince as the second officer began reciting Lucas' rights, bringing a heavy hand down onto Lucas' shoulder. The first officer grabbed onto my wrist as well, pulling me away from Lucas who was now yanking at his arms, trying to free himself.

"Do you understand these rights as they have just been read to you?" The second officer asked, jerking Lucas roughly away from the car. This wasn't some sick joke Rico was playing, or a favor from my father. These officers were legitimately arresting Lucas for reasons they refused to share.

Lucas pushed away from the officer holding him, now standing alone with a face creased in anger, "My father will have your head's for this."

The second cop grabbed Lucas by the hair and pulled his head backwards until Lucas was forced to look at the sky, "Your father won't be able to get you out of this one, kid."

With my heart pounding at a million miles per minute, I watched helplessly as the first officer began dragging Lucas away. Lucas spun his head to find me and I saw no fear in his eyes, only rage, "Call my father, tell him what's happened."

I nodded but just as I was about to speak my agreement, I felt hands tugging at my wrists and a gruff voice said, "She's coming with us too."

Fear caused my heart to drop like a stone, I was being arrested? Me? The daughter of a secret Service member was being arrested like some common criminal? I've barely ever tasted alcohol, I've stayed away from drugs, hell I've never even gotten a traffic ticket, and now I was being arrested? I felt the chill of metal enclosing around my wrists as the first officer gently clapped a pair of handcuffs on me as well.

Lucas lost it. He began fighting against the cop holding him, "No, get the fuck away from her! You can take me, do whatever you want with me, just leave her alone!"

The officer holding me started to laugh as his partner desperately tried to hold onto Lucas, "Calm down, kid. She's going to be fine...wish I could say the same about you."

What the hell did that mean? Was Lucas in trouble?

Lucas continued to shout profanities towards the officers as he was hauled away and quite literally thrown into the back of a police car parked only a few spot down. The first officer looked down at me and shrugged, "You can get in either by your own power or you can go the way your boyfriend did. Your choice."

I shot him a deadly glare I had learned from my father's many years of interrogations. Then I licked my dry lips and mumbled, "Lead the way."

I was taken to a different car than the one Lucas was in but I could still see him through the other window. He was watching me, apologetically, and I saw him mouth the words I'm sorry. But I didn't get the chance to reply before his car pulled away.