Chapter 13

The beach was lit by tiki torches, placed around the sand by the other students from Division. Music blasted from several different radio's that had been brought, resulting in a dance floor lit by flames and structured by sand softer than clouds. Tables were set throughout the beach, each one dressed with alcohol and snacks to munch on. Red solo cups littered the beach though a few of the more environment friendly students were desperately trying to collect each cup as it fell from the drunken hands of their fellow students.

Despite what I thought previously, I was actually having a good time. Nicole and Rico were basically attached at the hip and the rest of Lucas' gang kept me included while Lucas made his rounds. Apparently, since he was throwing the party, he had to make sure everyone survived the night. He would survey the crowd then return to me for twenty minutes before he checked the crowd again.

It actually warmed my heart to see how cautious Lucas was being, he truly cared about the lives of these people even though he barely knew them. He was a good man, even if his father was the leader of the drug cartel.

"How is this even possible?" I asked Sofía as she tried handing me yet another cup of alcohol. I must have explained to them all at least fifty times by now that I didn't drink but they were either ignoring me or just not listening.

Sofía refilled her own solo cup and lifted it to her lips, "Lucas' dad has connections everywhere. We get to 'rent' out the beach whenever we want as long as we promise to clean up after ourselves. Don't worry about it, Kimber, just have fun tonight!"

She danced back over to where Daniel was waiting for her and the two lost themselves in each other. It must be nice to so openly be with the person you liked, I wouldn't know.

I mingled through the groups, holding my red solo cup if only to fit in. Every now and then, I'd dump a little of the cup's contents into the sand, to trick everyone into thinking I was drinking. It was always kind of annoying being the only sober one at a party but I had long since gotten used to it.

And luckily this time, I wasn't the only one.

"Jillian!" I called out, reaching for her shoulder. She was talking amongst a few other people but smiled widely upon seeing me. Her hair, as always, was twisted into braids and those large glasses seemed to be falling from her face. She was dressed in a pair of mid thigh shorts and a bikini top, which was actually quite a risque outfit for my little Jill.

She giggled and stretched her arms out for a hug, "I'm so glad you found me, you're the only one who understands my hatred for alcohol."

I laughed too and hugged her back, "We non-alcoholics have to stick together."

This received a few objections from those standing closest to us though most of them were too drunk to understand what we were really talking about. I pulled Jillian aside so we could talk without people bumping into us or music deafening our ears.

Jillian eyed my cup as we distanced ourselves from the party, "What are you drinking?"

"I'm not drinking it, just pretending, so people will stop handing me drinks." I explained, tiling the cup sideways to dump a little more of the alcohol into the sand. There was barely any left in the cup now.

Jillian's eyes lit up, "That's a really good idea."

I handed her what was left in my cup, "Here. Take this one, I'll grab another and together we can trick everyone."

She took the cup graciously and tentatively hooked her arm through mine, "I'm so glad that you moved down here. I can't even imagine spending the next four years going to college parties without you."