Chapter 2

****B****

Manny was an unemployed single father of two boys, Jacob and Joshua. His wife of three years, died a couple of months earlier and he was left with the responsibility to raise his sons alone. They were not a rich family. They didn't live in a fancy house. As a matter of fact, Manny often referred to his home as a "hole in the wall". Even though Manny hated his home and his neighborhood, he loved his sons and he tried his best to give them everything he could.

Being that Manny was unemployed, he often had to turn to illegal activities just to make ends meet. He didn't consider himself a criminal. He preferred the term "survivalist". He never committed violent crimes or stole anything that he didn't absolutely need for his family. Convincing himself that he wasn't in the same category of people who commit "real" crimes like rape and murder, helped Manny sleep at night. But deep inside, it bothered him. He wanted to provide more for him and the boys.

Manny would look around their small, dim, dusty home and reminisce back to his own childhood home. He remembered how grand the house was and the feasts his mom would prepare. How he and his siblings enjoyed running around and laughing throughout the house. He remembered how proud his father looked back then. That was a long time ago, but Manny ached to give his sons the same memories. Most of all, he ached to feel half of that same pride his father felt.

"Daddy I'm hungry" little Joshua said early one morning, waking his father from his slumber. Manny already knew what they had in the house to eat. Nothing. But this particular morning, he felt uneasy about leaving the house for food. He had been stealing for a long time, but now had that feeling that someone was on to him.He had the strangest feeling for a while, that someone was trying to trap him. In his line of business, he'd seen a lot of traps, and a lot of deaths, and Manny didn't want to become a statistic. But he also wasn't going to let his children starve. So ignoring his gut feeling, Manny went out to find food.

The warm sun was just making his appearance in the morning sky when Manny left the house. There was no one in sight. It was quiet out. A little too quite for Manny. He saw a garbage can. He knew from experience that the can would hold something edible for his boys. He had found bitten off sandwiches, half eaten bags of chips, even whole apples in this specific garbage can in the past. Manny figured he would hit the can quickly, grab the treasures inside, and get back in the house before anyone saw him. He casually walked to the can and peered inside. Jackpot. It was loaded with all types of good eats.

Manny was frantically rummaging through the can when he knocked it over. He squealed with delight at the amount and variety he had to choose from. He didn't realize how much noise he was making that early in the morning. He didn't consider that he may wake someone. Manny decided to take what he could carry in the house, and come back for more. When he lifted his head from the trash, he saw a horrific sight. A giant stood before him holding some sort of weapon. In Manny's eyes, the man was at least ten feet tall. The giant shouted something at Manny that he couldn't understand, and he didn't stick around long enough to figure it out. He dropped his family's breakfast and took off. Manny didn't want to lead the giant to his home where his children were, so he scurried in the opposite direction.

He ran as fast as his legs carry him, and found a resting spot in a dark corner to catch his breath. He remembered the uneasy feeling he had before he left the house, and cursed quietly at himself for not listening. He tried to quiet his pounding heartbeat, and listen for the giant. It was quiet. Again too quiet for Manny. He thought about Jacob and Joshua, and how they were waiting at home, alone. He needed to get back to them. Maybe he couldn't provide them with the best home, but he needed to try to protect them from the giant.

Manny stuck his head from around the corner to see if there were any signs of the huge man. The coast looked clear, so he carefully emerged from his hiding spot, too terrified to breath. Manny took about seven steps and was brutally attacked by the screaming giant. The giant's weapon beat Manny repeatedly over his body. Blow after blow in the ribs and head. Sharp chest pains consumed Manny every time he tried to inhaled. Blood splattered around him. Manny knew he was never going to make it home. He felt the life leaving his body. The giant continued to beat him with the weapon, and yell foreign obscenities until Manny's spirit left his physical body.

Pleased at what he accomplished, the giant stopped yelling and picked up Manny the mouse with two fingers off his kitchen floor,and disposed of him the trash can he knocked over.

****B is for Broom****

*************I know. Had you going :-)******