Chapter 8

****H****

I'm Timmy Harris and I'm turning 4 years old tomorrow. Mommy said that I'm having the coolest party ever and that we have to get stuff ready today. I hope she means we have to get my presents today. I'm playing with my fire truck in the living room when I hear Mommy and Daddy talking in the kitchen.

"I don't know why this can't wait. I can do it when I get home tonight," Daddy says to Mommy.

"I'll just take him this morning. It'll be fun," Mommy answers back. I think she's talking about taking me to get my presents. That would be a lot of fun! I crash my fire truck into the leg of the chair to celebrate the moment. They call me into the kitchen and ask me if I want to go with Mommy today. I don't wait for them to tell me where.

"YEA! I wanna go" I answer and march around the kitchen. They are still talking but I don't care. It's my birthday tomorrow and there are presents to get today. I have to go with Mommy. I mean, what if she picks out little boy toys? Someone has to be there to stop her. I'm going to be four not three! They tell me to put on me jacket because its time to go. I run and snatch my blue jacket out the hall closet. I try to zip it up myself, but sometimes it's hard to get the zippy thing in the slot, so Mommy helps my get it in there. But I don't let her zip it. No, I'm a big boy now and big boys zip their own jackets. I look down and see my shoe is untied. I bend down and try to make those laces go into the bow I've seen them do my whole life, but I they won't do it. I still need help with laces. Mommy do her magic finger trick and both shoes have nice bows on them. Don't worry, I tell myself that I'll have that finger trick learned by five.

We walk to the garage and I beg Mommy to sit in the front seat, but she tells me that I still have to sit in the little boy seat in the back. I ask her when will I be old enough to sit in the front, but all she says is that I have to be older. I bet she means when I'm five. So I get in the back seat and fasten the belt without whining. Don't want her to change her mind about taking me to get my presents. We're driving and it seems like this ride will never end. I see a Toys R Us out of the window and I'm about to jump out of my seat, but Mommy keeps driving. Maybe she didn't see it.

"Mommy you passed it," I tell her. I mean, I'm getting older, I'm suppose to be more helpful now.

"No I didn't. Here it is," she answers as we pull up in front of a place that doesn't look like a toy store to me. Maybe she has to do some grown up stuff before we go to the real store. So I go along without a word. I just hope she doesn't take all day or all the good toys could be gone. We walk inside and there are a lot of men with jackets on, they remind me of doctors and I know what doctors do. They poke and stick people in the arms. I already don't like this place. Mommy tells the man its my first time, and I tell her that she's wrong, I've been to the doctor plenty times before. Everyone starts laughing, but I don't know what's so funny. It's true. The man with the beard tells me to sit in his chair and as soon as I do he wraps a Superman cape around me. Ok, I like this part. While he and Mommy talk, I pretend that I'm flying over my birthday with my new cape and all my friends are jealous of me. All of a sudden there is a loud buzzing sound. I don't remember this sound before when I visit the doctor and I'm scared. I try to get out of the chair, but everyone seems to yell for me to be still.

I hear the buzzing getting closer to me and it sounds like when Daddy put the paper in the box and it comes out all ripped up. They're trying to rip me up! I jump out of the chair and try to run but I get tangled in the buzzing thing cord and fall on the floor. The fall doesn't hurt so I struggle to get back to my feet. The man with the beard turns off the buzzing thing, and reaches down to help he up. I try to take his hand when I knock a pair of scissors off his table, and they land point first in my left eye. I scream as loud as my lungs will allow. There are a pair of scissors sticking out of eye! I see Mommy out of my other eye trying to hold me, but all I want is to get out of here and NOW! I get to my feet and run full speed to the door. Unfortunately, I wouldn't learn until years later about peripheral vision and I run face first into the door. The only part of the scissors that can be seen sticking out of my bleeding face is the handle.

****H is for Haircut****