Chapter 7

****G****

"I saw her again last night, Chicky" Adam told his girlfriend Carla. Adam was sweating profusely as he  paced back and forward in his tiny padded cell. He had the dream about  her again, and pacing helped him calm down.   

"Baby, let me sit down first before you start with the  ghost stories" Carla replied. Adam was a patient at Serene Lake Psychiatric Hospital.  Two years before, the judge ruled that he was mentally unstable to stand trial for attempt murder on his ex girlfriend. Adam had gotten into a relationship with her aunt, Carla, which turned out to be the worst decision he ever made. She seduced him with promises of wealth and power. She made him believe that the only way they could truly have it all was if her niece was dead.  Adam and Carla were only seconds away from killing her when she was fatally struck by an out of control ambulance. He really did love her, but Carla knew how to get under his skin and he had to admit that he liked it. But ever since "her" death, Adam is haunted by her spirit. "So what happened this time Adam? Did she float over your bed again? Really Adam, I love you but this shit is getting a little old", Carla continued.

"You think I like going through this? Look around Chicky," Adam said while he rubbed his face against the softness of the wall. " I'm in a fucking nut house!" he shouted right before be slammed his head against the same wall that just comforted him. "And you're gonna get me out of here," he pointed at her. Carla was not afraid. She had seen this many times before in the past two years.  He lost it in the middle of the courtroom when he was on trail for attempted murder. He swore that he was seeing dead people in the room and refused to step foot inside. Carla thought he came up with a genius plan for him to avoid prison time, and being that he never implemented her in the crime, she supported him. She didn't find out until months later that it wasn't an act. Adam really believed he was seeing dead people. Well, not people, just her. 

"I know it must be hard, that's why I'm here. Tell me what happened", she looked at Adam all sweaty and babbling and said to herself that some people aren't cut out for murder. She remembered her first time. It was her childhood dog, Binky. She was seven and wanted to see how strong a skull really was. So she convinced her five year old sister, Anne, that she needed her and  the dog's help for a science experiment. They took Binky in the backyard and she had Anne hold Binky down while she stood on his head. Unfortunately, Binky's skull didn't crush under the pressure as Carla wanted, so she found a large rock in the yard and bashed his skull in the old fashion way. Blood splattered on Carla's face and she liked the warmth of it. The only other time she felt such a rush was when she went to the fair the summer before, and rode the tallest ride. She was just about to wipe the blood on her face as a symbol of her first kill, but Anne was crying and threatened to tell. Carla held the stone high above her little sister and told her that the same thing that happened to Binky would happen to her if she did.  Anne never told, but twenty years later she was Carla's seventh victim. Anne's daughter would have been her eighth, but the ambulance beat her to it. You win some, you lose some.

"Are you even listening to me?" Adam asked inches away from her face. She was so caught up in her memory that she totally forgot where she was. "She's mad."

"Well, hasn't she been mad for the past two years Adam? What makes this time special?" Carla asked of Adam's ghost. "Every visit the same shit", she thought, but he told the police that she came in after he attacked her niece and she had nothing to do with it. Without that statement Carla would be behind bars and she knew it. So she visit him every Tuesday and Thursday since he was sentenced.

"She spoke to me this time. 'Evening watch'", Adam said. Carla sat across from Adam waiting for him to finish his sentence, but he got up and started pacing again.