Part 3 - The Letter

Maine let out an exasperated sigh as she threw and missed yet again a crumpled piece of paper. She was slumped on her study table, hair tied up in a messy bun, eyeglasses sliding off her nose.  For three long hours she has been sitting there, trying to write a feature about the contest in Romblon but after a few sentences she finds herself writing about Richard Faulkerson Jr.  

Knock knock

It was Kat. "Hey, bat andaming kalat?" She said while picking up the pieces of crumpled papers and opening them up to see the content. Maine quickly stood up and tried to snatch the piece Kat is uncrumpling but she failed.

'I don't know what's with him but there's something about that guy that makes my heart skip a beat or two.'

'If only I was brave enough to say hi to him and maybe introduce myself...."

'He looked genuinely happy clutching his trophy but there is a hint of sadness in his beautiful eyes."

Kat shot Maine an accusing look. 

"What Kat? Magsalita ka!"

The other girl let out an ear piercing shriek and hugged Maine.  "I'm so happy you're liking someone again Meng!" 

Maine laughed and just shook her head. "It's annoying Kat.  I can't even write a single article without including him in the article. Eh bukas na ang deadline ni Ms. Linie for the feature.  Ano gagawin ko?"

Kat paused and thought for a while. "Ah! Alam ko na. Sulatan mo Meng."

"Eh gaga ka pala eh. Bat ko naman susulatan eh di nga kami magkakikaka nun.  Ni di nga nya alam pangalan ko." An irritated Maine replied.

"Eto naman. Sulatan mo lang kunwari di mo naman mi-mail yan eh. Para lang you can put on paper the things in your head at makafocus ka na sa feature article mo. Ganun lang yun!" Defended Kat.

Maine chew the cap of her ballpen. She does that when she's thinking. "Sabagay may point ka. Paabot na ng blue stationaries jan sa likod mo."

Kat's brows furrowed. "Bat kelangan stationaries talaga eh di naman mi-mail?"

Maine just shrugged he shoulders. "Para realistic kunwari. So I can really convince and trick my self to believing that this letter is really for him."

"Okay suit yourself" Said Kat as she laid her back on Maine's bed.  She looked at her bestfriend's smiling face and a thought came to her mind.  Maine is going to kill her once she finds out what she's thinking of but hell, she's itching to play cupid for her bestfriend.

After 30 minutes

A smiling Maine stood up and shook Kat who has already fallen asleep. "Kat, gising na. Maliligo lang ako ang then punta na tayo sa library ha? Mabilis lang to."

"Okay, dali ligo na't para makaalis na tayo." Kat replied with eyes still closed.  When she heard the door opened and closed, she hurriedly went over Maine's study table, took the blue envelope, slid it in her bag and went back to bed smiling like crazy. "You're gonna thank me one day Meng. Just wait and see."