Part 7

A/N: Pasensya na kayo sa previous part. Di ko alam panu isulat yun eh.

Maine

"Tay naman po eh. Alam nyo namang gusto kong mag law simula pa nung una. Sige na po Tay pumayag na po kayo." Maine's eyes are now red ang puffy as she has been crying for a good two hours already trying to convince her father.  

"Napag-usapan na natin 'to Nicomaine. 'Wag na magpumilit at di na mababago ang decision ko. Masyadong magulo ang pagiging abogada lalo na't sa UP ka pa gustong mag-aral."  Her dad is one of the most irrational person she knows who still believe that women should not burden themselves with law and politics. 

"Tay naman eh. Top university po ang UP. Diba sabi nyo you want the best for me. Eh eto na nga po ang chance Tay oh." She countered, silently hoping that he would agree. 

Teddy Mendoza sighed.  "Kaya nga Meng eh." He started softly. "Ayokong mahirapan ka. Di mo naman kailangang magpakahirap eh. Istable naman ang negosyo natin." Referring to the chain of gas stations they have in Bulacan and several construction companies that build roads in Manila. "Anak, nagpakahirap ako para di na kayo mahirapang magkakapatid lalo na kayong mga babae."

Fresh tears gushed out of Maine's eyes. "Tay..." She reached out to hold his hands. "Tay, sa inyo pa yun ni Nanay eh. Please let me prove to myself na kaya ko rin po. Gusto ko pong paghirapan din ang future ko Tay. Para maipagmalaki po ninyo ako Tay." Her eyes were pleading. 

Mr. Mendoza knew this scene would keep on repeating until Maine got what she wanted. He let out a sigh of defeat. "Walang bababa sa 1.75 sa lahat ng subjects. Hindi magdodorm. Uwi ka parin araw-araw dito sa bahay." 

Maine's eyes widened and her hands went up to open mouth. "I love you Tatay. You. Are. The. Best!" She threw herself to her father and hugged him like there is no tomorrow.

A few nights later she carefully chose what she's going to wear for the orientation the next day. After an hour of rummaging through her closet, she picked out a simple yellow dress and nude ballet flats to go with it.  She's going to see RJ again tomorrow.  And this starting tomorrow, a new chapter in their life will begin. She took out her yellow diary and began to write.

Dear Diary RJ,

Starting tomorrow, we won't be writing each other anymore so I have decided to keep on writing you and tell you everything I think and feel about and for you with all honesty. Kat doesn't know about this so my secret is ultimately safe. Plus my diary has a lock. Hahaha! 

I am super excited to see you RJ. Yet I can't help feel anxious too.  What if our personalities don't really jive and we are just better of as penpals? What if we can't be the kind of friends that I thought we already are? What if you won't like me? What if you think I'm boring? Will my heart flutter the same way it did two years ago when I saw you in Romblon? Will I have difficulty catching my breath when I hear your voice as I do whenever I read your letters? Oh please tomorrow, come soon.

As ever,

Maine

Richard

He tossed and turned on his bed, not able to sleep. The clock on his dorm room wall says it's already 2:30 AM yet sleep is illusive. Is it because it's his first night in the dormitory? Or maybe because he's worried about his mom's condition? Or is it because he's going to see Maine tomorrow after two years? They've exchanged letters every week for two years but they didn't see each other. 

Richard smiled as he thought of Maine. He has been too focused on his studies and his family that he didn't have to sort what he feels for her.  He got out of bed, sat on his desk and pulled out a piece of paper and a pen and started writing.

Dear Maine,

Why am I still writing you when I am going to see you tomorrow? Nah, this one is actually just for me. This one won't be mailed to you and will just be part of... part of ano nga ba? Hahaha! Well this is me when I'm thinking or talking about you Maine. I get gibberish, lost my train of thoughts, get goosebumps and my heart skips a beat or two.  You have that effect on me.  I long to tell you that but I can't. I'm scared that I will scare you away and what we have will just go down the drain.  Hindi ko kayang mawala ka, Maine.  I have asked myself why I can't bear to lose you but I still don't know the answer.  Is it because I consider you my best friend?  Or is it because I have come to enjoy our exchange of letters too much that it has become part of my life already? Or is it because of this explainable feeling I have for you?  Pinaghihinalaan ko na ang sarili ko eh, that I've fallen inlove with you in the course of the two years we had been penpals. But I'm not sure about it yet.  All I know is that, you are like the air I breathe. 

He stopped writing and let out a deep sigh.  Looking up, he saw a mirror hanging on his locker door. He smiled and picked up his pen once more.

Maine, you are like a morning mirror, hanging on my locker door. You make me see myself, the real me. And there never is a day that I don't thank God for you.

Always,

Richard