Part 6

A/N: No more titles na para mas thrilling. Hahaha!

Fast forward to two years later

After 2 years, the highlight of their week is still the letter they receive from each other.  They have been consistent with the weekly letters they send each other.  They exchanged photos of themselves, printed in junior sizes that are now tucked in their wallets.  In their letters they began to get to know each other better, developed a rock solid friendship, shared news about their accomplishments and failures and their hopes and dreams for the future. Richard wants to be an accountant while Maine a lawyer.  Both wants to study in UP Diliman for college and both have set their minds on that goal. Both have already imagined their college lives in the said university, because there, they will finally be together.  

They took the UPCAT on the same day but on different campuses but it didn't matter.  They were happy.  Should the heavens be kind to them and let them pass, they will be in the same campus. They can see each other everyday. Talk face to face everyday.  That's all they ever wanted. 

Maine

The day they have been waiting for came.  Maine and Kat were among those squeezing to make it to the bulletin board to check if they made it.  Kat let out a shriek when she saw her name. "Meng, nakapasa ako! UP Diliman here I come!"  Maine smiled. She's genuinely happy for her friend.  "Kat, di ako makasingit. Pakicheck naman kun anjan ako." Kat nodded and turned to the bulletin board once more. Another shriek was heard from Kat and when Maine heard that, she joined in the shrieking herself. "See you soon RJ.  See you very soon!" She whispered quietly.

Richard 

"Nak, may sulat ka." RJ's dad looked up from the newspaper he was reading when he saw his son at the door.  "Pero hindi galing kay Meng yan." Richard Sr. was fully aware of the friendship RJ has developed with the pretty girl from Bulacan.  He himself received birthday and father's day cards from Maine who asked if Rio and him can simply call her Meng to which he did.

"Di galing kay Meng? Panu nyo nasabi Dad?" He asked while walking towards the kitchen counter where the stack of letters are. Richard Sr. chucked. "Eh pano yung letters ni Meng naka stationary at mabango pa. Eh yan letter size window envelope na, naka type pa yung pangalan mo. San ba galing yan, nak?"

"Yeeees! Yahoo!" RJ threw a punch in the air and ran to hug his father who was now standing and very much confused. "Sinagot ka ni Meng, nak? Naku yung batang yun talaga nagdrama pa. May pa-formal letter pa kunwari para di galing sa kanya." Richard Sr. said shaking his head in amusement.

"Hindi po Dad. Nakapasa po ako sa UPCAT! Iskolar ng bayan na po ang anak nyo!" RJ showed the letter to his father who had to read the letter twice before it sank on him.  "Congratulations anak.  Proud na proud ako sayo. Dali na puntahan mo mommy mo para malaman nya din ang balita." And off went RJ to his parents' room to show the letter to his mother.

Richard Sr. smiled as his son ran to find his mother.  Rio will be so happy. This is what she wanted for RJ, to study in UPD where she also graduated.  Your dreams for RJ is now beginning to happen, Mahal. Please be strong. I need you. RJ and Riza need you. A tear escaped his eyes as he thought about his wife.  Just this morning, when the kids were in school, the result of the biopsy was out and it was confirmed. Breast cancer stage 3.