Part 8 Fast Forward 2015

RICHARD - Bay Area, California

"Damn RJ! You're a grown 35 year old and you still swoon over her email?" He scolded himself out loud infront of the mirror.  He checked the time and realized that he was late.  He has never been late to work.  Well there's always a first in everything and he's sure the people in the office won't wind.  After all, he's an audit specialist in Ernst and Young. 

He stepped into the bathroom, turned the shower on and poured body wash on a scrub.  The smell of strawberry filled the bathroom, and her image appeared on his head.  Crap, why is this strawberry?! He remembered his sister Riza was here yesterday.  All he can do is shake his head.   He groped for the Irish Spring wash and finished showering.  

The moment he stepped out of the shower, the smell of tapa welcomed him.  Riza's friend recently came back from the Philippines and brought them pasalubong. Tapa is one of the many she gave them.  He smiled.  Tapa is her comfort food.  She can eat tapsilog three times a day and never get tired of it. 

"Kuya kain na. Late ka ata ngayon. Himala!" Riza said as she plated fried eggs and tapa into two plates.  "Teka may problema ba?" His sister pried. He just looked at her, sighed and shook his head. "Yan tayo Kuya RJ eh. Dalawa na nga lang tayo dito sa States, once or twice a month na nga lang tayo magkita and you still act that way." Riza's hands were on her hips now, a stance that means she's already upset. He let out a sigh of defeat.

"Okay fine. She emailed me." "Kuya naman eh. I thought okay ka na? I thought nakapag move on ka na? Diba sabi mo kakalimutan mo na si Ate Meng?" Riza's voice softened at the mention of Maine's name. "Akala ko rin Riz eh. Pero when received her email everything came rushing back."  Riza went to her brother's side and draped her arms on his shoulders. "Wala ka ba talagang feelings na nadevelop for that Thai girl in your office? Yung si  Preeda ba yun?"  RJ's brows furrowed. "Yung kamuka ni Meng? Eh alam mo namang yung attraction ko is hanggang dun lang eh. Kasi..."  "Kasi she looks like Ate Meng."  Riza finished for him. He nodded. "What we have is nothing Riz.  We're just FUBUs."  "Yuck, Kuya!" She threw a piece of tapa at him which he was fortunate to avoid. "You're an adult Riza, deal with it." He laughed and headed for the door.  

The moment he opened his email, he looked up Maine's email and decided to end his agony once and for all.  

Dear Maine,

I got your email but decided to reply in your personal email rather because I find it uncomfortable that your colleagues might chance on reading my reply too. How are you? It's been a really long time. Has it been 10 years already? It felt like an eternity on my side but I can still hear your voice on the other end of the line telling me that you don't want to do anything with me anymore and I have to admit it still hurts like hell. :) Things are okay on my end I guess. Do you remember telling me before that I have to learn how to play the guitar? Not to brag but I'm getting pretty good at it already. You'll be proud when you hear me play. Hahaha! Care to meet you say? How can I say no when I've been longing for that day almost everyday? Whenever I go home to Pinas every year, it takes all my energy to stop myself from going to Bulacan. Just tell me which city and state you'll be staying and I'll be there. What are your plans for the two weeks you'll be here? I'm volunteering to be your tour guide/bodyguard/driver if you'll have me. Can you give me your flight details so I can pick you at the airport? I'm in California but I can pick you up in whichever airport you'll fly in. Cant wait to finally see you again after a very long time. I missed you more than you can imagine.

Yours forever,

RJ