Chapter 22: Thorel

When I was just a kid, growing up in Sakessa with my cousins, Holly and Amanda, Aunt Eleanna told me that before Queen Saralee came to power, Icicle Hall used to be a pretty cool place to be. She described it with her eyes closed and a wide smile on her face, like she was truly reliving the memory, as she painted a picture with her words of the bright palace, alive with the cheerful conversations of servants and nobles alike. 

I found it pretty hard to believe that as I walked through the silent Hall. Although I knew that the royal family had a large staff of more than a hundred maids, butlers, gardeners, cooks, and errand boys, I saw almost no servants. The ones I did happen to glance at quickly shrank away out of fear.

The entire place gave me a sense of unease, and a tangible cold hung in the air. Not typical Lessaenite autumn cold, but a deeper, sinister cold that settled deep in your head and your bones. It was almost as if the palace itself had taken on the personality of its mistress. 

Finally, I arrived at my destination, the heart of Icicle Hall: the throne room. 

"State your name and business," one of the Ice Guards standing at attention right in front of the ornate double doors droned. 

"Thorel Myers. The Queen wished to see me." 

The Ice Guard's eyes widened with awe and respect when he heard my last name, and he let me through without any further questioning. 

That was just one of the perks of being from the Empire's second most powerful family. Most powerful if you didn't count the royal family.

My footsteps resounded throughout the spacious hall as I walked across the solid marble floor. As usual, Queen Saralee sat motionlessly on the throne. If I wasn't used to seeing her like this, I'd think she was a statue. 

"Good afternoon, Your Majesty," I quickly bowed my head. 

"Good afternoon, Thorel," the Queen sighed. "Have you received any data from your cousin, the Warrior Chief, lately?" 

I was hoping she wouldn't ask me that. "Amanda is dead, My Queen," I sighed gravely. 

"What!?" Queen Saralee's eyes widened. "How..." 

"She didn't make it out of the Program. Her Aural signals stopped coming in about a minute before Princess Viviana and the Glitches escaped." 

"They escaped?" The Ice Queen spat. "How could you let them escape!? And you call yourselves warriors!? Pathetic!" 

It took all of my self control to contain my rage. How dare she insult the greatest of the five clans, whose members protected her every day!? If she wasn't the Queen...

"However, I shall now graciously offer you a chance to redeem yourself," Queen Saralee smiled slyly. "You must succeed where Amanda has failed, it is now your duty to complete her mission!" 

"Her mission...to destroy the human race once and for all by leading the Glitches to the Icehearts!?" I gasped. 

"Yes," the Queen gave me a measured nod. 

"But what if I run away to Rhena before you can send me to Earth?" I hardened my gaze. "What if I think wiping out an entire species just because of the misdeeds of a few of its members is a heinous idea?" 

"I was hoping it wouldn't come to this," Queen Saralee sighed, motioning to the Ice Guard at a door to her left. He yanked the door open, revealing a gaunt young woman in a tattered blue dress and shackles behind it. An overwhelming feeling of despair filled me as Tara raised her head and her ocean of black hair fell back, revealing a black eye and bruised, sunken in cheeks. 

"I know about you two," the Queen said simply.

I gave her a confused look, and Tara blushed, turning her gaze to her feet. 

"I have security cameras everywhere," Queen Saralee smirked. "And everywhere includes the dungeons. 

"Then you must know I've been visiting Tara for quite some time now. Why didn't you say anything before?" I asked. 

"It wasn't important before," the Ice Queen sighed. "And besides, allowing her to have her small joys- like you, Thorel- makes her sentence all the more painful. There can be no suffering without something to hold onto, a distant hope to dream of. How can one feel loss without love?" 

"You played us," I gave her a distasteful glare. 

"No need to take it personally," she shrugged. "I play everyone." 

"Thorel...what she's about to say...don't listen," Tara croaked. 

"Aw, Tara, how sweet," Queen Saralee grinned cruelly. "Trying to warn your boyfriend. Well, if Thorel values his life, he'll listen to me!" 

"What if I don't value my life?" I raised an eyebrow. "What if I'd rather protect the last children of the human race- who are not the ones who fought us in the Galactic Wars, and therefore completely innocent- than live?" 

"You two make such a perfect couple," Queen Saralee laughed. "You're both such annoyingly selfless human lovers. Maybe I'd actually let you get married, if you weren't so stubborn. Anyway, Thorel, if you don't value your life, do you at least value Tara's? Because, if you don't complete Amanda's mission, the next time you see Tara will be at her funeral!" 

"There is no way you're using the Princess as leverage. Even you wouldn't stoop that low," I shook my head. 

"Oh, I would alright!" She smirked. "And I'm willing to prove it." 

"Let her kill me, Thorel," Tara said through gritted teeth, her purple eyes flashing a fierce blue. "I don't want to be the reason humanity dies out. And besides, death would be much better than living this life." 

"You're not dying, Tara, not while I'm alive." I planted my feet firmly in the ground, sure of my decision. "Your Majesty, I accept the mission. I will lead Princess Viviana and the Glitches to you." 

"Good," the Queen nodded, a slight smile playing on her lips. "Thorel, you are dismissed."

 "Thank you," I sighed, turning around and walking back through the hall the way I had come. Squeezing my eyes shut, I made a silent promise. 

I will come back for you, Tara.