Chapter 36: Teren

A/N: Okay, guys, I decided to update because today is a really special day.

On June 19, 2015, I had a random, weird idea, designed a cover, got on Wattpad, and wrote the prologue of Glitches. Yes, today is the Books of Lessaenes series' FIRST BIRTHDAY!!! Please join me in wishing it a very happy birthday :D

..........................................

"Do you realize that what you're proposing, Teren, is simply impossible?" Lady Myers shook her head, running a hand through her fiery red hair. The members of the Order of the Flame looked at me condescendingly, as if to say poor boy, he has no idea what he's talking about. 

"You think it's impossible to crown a Rhenan ruler and put those billionaire Lessaenite snobs in their place?" 

"Impossible and unethical," Eleanna shook her head. "Princess Tara is the rightful heir to the Empire."

"Princess Tara," I sneered. "The Princess of Light and Life. Queen Saralee was known to be a kind princess too...and then, when she became Queen, that all changed. We can't trust the Arystenns. Not any of them. Not Tara or Viviana, none of them!" 

"Teren, that's enough!" Lady Myers slammed her fist down on the Order table authoritatively. 

"Oh, really?" I continued. "Does the truth make you uncomfortable? Does it displease your high-and-mighty rebel leader minds to be reminded that you don't have a perfect plan? Do you like to believe your own lies?" 

"We don't rule on a throne of propaganda and falsehood," Alsiyah said coldly. "Our goal here is fairness and transparency. We're not the Council of Icehearts." 

"Are you sure about that?" I raised an eyebrow. "Is no one here concerned about the fact that the three most powerful leaders of a Rhenan rebellion are Lessaenites, and they're all closely related to at least one of the noble lines?" I addressed the crowd sitting around us. "They'll use us to crown Princess Tara the new Queen of Lessaenes, and earn her trust. Then, they'll be appointed to Chief positions, and BAM! Council of Icehearts 2.0! Updates include extreme sarcasm and absolute un-overthrowability!" 

"You know what, Teren? I don't know how else to say this...you're an idiot. You're a stupid, mindless, greedy idiot who can't stand the thought of anyone but yourself on the throne and I'm sick of you and your selfish ways!" Aron spat, standing up. Most of the spectators roared in agreement, throwing shoes, coats, and whatever else they could get their hands on at me.

"Stop! Leave him alone!" Holly shrieked, running onto the stage. I shot her a horrified look. As much as I loved to see her perfect, round Lessaenite face, she was ruining my plan! She wasn't supposed to show herself!

"This Empire has fallen to madness. It's become every man for himself, with no thought for the species as a whole. In this world filled with hate and vice, Teren stands for truth and justice," Holly announced, planting herself firmly by my side as her fingers dug into my tunic with nervousness. 

"Holly?" It took all my self control not to snicker at Lady Myers' expression when she said her daughter's name. Her jaw literally hung past her chin. "Holly...h-how could you? You weren't missing after all, you were with him the whole time! You of all people..." 

"I'm sorry, mother," Holly sighed. "You and your rebellion are corrupt. You want to keep all the Empire's power concentrated in six families, treat Rhenans as if they're lesser than us, and crown an Arystenn ruler. Tell me, what makes you so different from the Icehearts?" 

At this accusation, most of the Flame audience erupted with colorfully worded threats. 

"Enough is enough, Teren," Rory hissed, her powerful voice echoing above the crowd. "Go rot in the cellar where you belong, you good-for-nothing scumbag."

"And take your cheap girlfriend with you!" Aron roared. 

"Who are you to call me a good-for-nothing?" I growled, stepping in front of Holly protectively. "Do you know who we are?" I gestured to myself and my future Queen. "The Radicals aren't runaway Kilaenaian slaves, they're us! We killed Fenorel Soren! We killed Sierra Valior! And we're gonna kill Saralee Arystenn!" 

Suddenly, almost as if I had cast a silencing spell, the ruckus was gone. In less than a second, the unruly Flames were quiet, staring at me in shock. 

"How?" Eleanna Myers whispered, suddenly interested. "How did you kill those Icehearts?" 

"With this," I held up a vial that was no bigger than my thumb. The Order members leaned forward, their eyes fixated on the crimson liquid inside. "The Flameheart Serum," I cleared my throat. 

"It's the Iceheart Serum's exact opposite. When King Fenorel engineered the Iceheart Serum, he created the Flameheart Serum simultaneously as a failsafe in case any of his experiments went wrong. When administered correctly, it reverses the effects of the Iceheart Serum, leaving an Iceheart vulnerable and able to be killed." I paused for a moment, allowing my words to sink in.

"When she learned of its existence, Queen Saralee had the formula for the Flameheart Serum obliterated for fear that it would be used against her. However, its creator saw the dangers that the Iceheart Serum was beginning to pose and secretly told the forbidden formula for its counterpart to the most impartial person he could find: a Rhenan slave." 

"Teritiana Faerlen," Tamarius nodded. "The boy speaks the truth. His mother was once a slave at Soren Manor." 

"But that doesn't make sense," Lady Myers shook her head. "I was good friends with Teritiana. She wouldn't have kept such a secret from me and the rest of the Flame." 

"She was threatened. King Fenorel told her that he'd throw her in the warmatches if she told anyone. He hung it over her head, subjecting her to years of mental torture, until she simply couldn't take it anymore. And then, she...did away with him. After that, she and my father started the Radicals, realizing that the Flame was growing corrupt and useless," I continued. 

"Her dying wish was to pass down leadership of the Radicals to one of her sons. She obviously couldn't choose Aron, because he's such a self-centered, Lessaenite-loving jerk, so she chose me. She told me her story with her last few breaths." 

"We thank you for bringing this to our attention," Alsiyah nodded. "Please hand over whatever facility you are using to produce the serum to us. I can assure you that we will put it to good use." 

"Nuh-uh-uh! Not so fast, you slick old noble," I grinned. "The Flameheart Serum is my inheritance. It's all mine!" I grabbed Holly's arm and ran to the door victoriously. 

"His little serum machine is probably in the storage closet that's closest to the surface," Aron said casually as I zipped out of the room. "He spends a lot of time in it, and I always hear weird noises from up there." 

Stupid Aron.