"I am trying."

Dear Teresa,
There are no words. I don't have any but apologies. I've just finished writing to Becca. Will you tell Eloise? I can't write any more letters. I truly cannot put this into words. I am trying but it doesn't seem fair to reduce this news to just a mess of words on a piece of paper. I am trying. I can't try anymore.
He's dead. You know that. The telegram would've arrived days before this. Maybe even weeks. He was writing you a letter, before we left. I wish I knew what it said. I wish I could tell you, but he had it on him when he fell. The last words he ever had were for you. I hope that means something. I have nothing else to give you.
Buck saved my life. So many more times before he died, you know that. I hope he knew that. We were on a train and he saved my life. I will never not be sorry that I couldn't return the favour. I should've been able to. What good am I if I can't?
He's dead because I failed him when he needed me most. I'm sorry. Teresa, I'm very sorry. He really loved you.
     This war's gotta end, Terry. We've lost too many people already. I'm gonna end it. I promise you that.
With love,
Steve.

Dear Steve,
     I'm sorry. I'm so terribly sorry. I don't know what else to say, either. Thank you for telling me. I'm so, so sorry. I don't know where to go from here, with this. If you need anything at all, I'm here.
     Did they find his body? Will there be something to bury when you come home?
     I don't know what else to say. I'm sorry.
With love,
Teresa Delacruz.