Morning

The alarm clock read 11:30 a.m as I yawned feeling the goosebumps rise up my skin, Last night sleep never felt so good. I hardly ever have a good night sleep, wait what! I quickly get up from bed stumbling on my way to the closet. I can't believe I have slept through the 6:00 alarm. I am so screwed, I hope Charlie dosen't yell at me for being late to work. I scan my closet, looking for the brown pale looking uniform on the hanger. There is no time to waste so I throw all my clothes out of my closet, and my things that have been lost since when I can remember. I throw my shoes out one by one untill seeing the uniform at the end of the pile.

I quickly change not even caring if I have put on the shirt wrong or my hair looking messy. I put on my boots and grab my coat. crap I need breakfast it's a sort of necessity if I don't later eat I'll get stomach cramps and right now I don't have money to be buying food out, as I pass through the kitchen I swiftly take a stale muffin from the table placing it in my mouth as I take out my keys. Not caring how long the muffin has been there.

I finally arrive at the Cafe where I worked, I paid the taxi driver and walked out in the snow, I could imagine Charlie's face already. I take a deep breathe and walk in inhaling the sweet strong smell of coffee and pastries.

"Annaaaa" Charlies who is placing crumpets into the shelves exclaims raising his hands in the air,

"Sorry, I'm late" I say, removing my scarf of my neck.

He frowns, "Okay, I'll let it slide this time, only because you are always punctual, well except for today" he finally smiles,

I grin, "Thank you" I place a apron around my waist and look around checking if someone is in need of asistance.

I notice the back of the head seated by the large window, where cafe is painted across it, I walk up taking the note pad and pen in my hand.

"Hello, Sir, what may I get you?" I ask when I reach the table finally being able to see his face.

His stunningly brown eyes glance at me, I smile, since he had a sort of sad depressed look on his face.

"I'll get a slice of cake and tea, please" he had a thick accent, I loved it.

"okay, anything else?"

he shook his head no,

I walk away and prepare his order.

"Why so late this morning, Anna" Charlie questions resting his elbow on the counter as I pour the tea in the cup,

"I was up all night studying for my classes"

"Sure you werent about in the clubs with your friends?" he jokes

"No, Charlie." I gather the plates on the tray "you know I don't go to clubs. Besides I don't have time for that." I reply,

he nods,

-

"Here you go" I place the tray on the table, his head is tilted at the window with his full attention on.. I don't know what really. I look out to where he's looking but I only see buildings , trees and an elderly couple sitting on a bench talking. I look back at him, still he didn't notice me. I think he's just daydreaming.

He blinks twice and finally notices me or at least his tray.

"Have you ever felt that you are only appreciated and loved for your work but never really for who you really are?" I didn't quite understand him but I kinda knew how he felt. "That you have to prove them wrong" he whispers in the end.

"Yeah, I know what you mean, being only appreciated for what you work for but never the person you really are" my eyes dropped to the floor, I had that feeling before, with some of my friends with teachers, I was a star student in high school, winning awards in music and art in competitions. Many teachers and students knew me only because I had won a medal and brought a good reputation to the school, but never for who I really was. Just for status.

"That's How I feel" he mumbles as he takes a sip of the tea, I finally glance at him before looking away,

"well" I say awkwardly, the silence grew and he said nothing, I walked away to the front desk.

He stayed seated for a couple of minutes, slowly taking sips of his tea and small bites of his cake.

I helped around behind the counter, taking orders and cleaning around. I examined him from behind,

His hair was a little long that the ends curled up in front and behind his ear, matching his sparkling brown eyes. He wore a nicley fitted suit matching well with his creme polka dotted shirt underneath, he sure had a sense of style.

-            -                   -

After a couple of customers came and left, he finally came up to the counter and paid, his face still mellow and sad. All I could do was smile.  He was quiet and left without saying a word.

I stood there, breathe less not really understanding what just happened.

----

The day finally eneded with me taking the last order, I cleaned the counter and placed the dirty rag in the sink. "Good night Charlie" I say, "Night, and this time ,please don't be late tomorrow"

"I won't" I shout back,

The cold air hit my face as I walked outside, each step I took my boots sunk in the snow. I walked further to the corner of the street, from view I noticed someone up ahead, standing with thier head tilted towards the sky and a cigarette in their hand, the smoke traveled in the air for a couple of seconds before disappearing.

"'excuse me ma'm" It caught me off guard, I hadn't noticed the taxi in front of me,

"Yes" I gave him directions and change as I sat down on the seat, I glanced through the window, searching for who was there up the alley, but whoever it was, they were gone.

____________________________________________________________________________

hoped you enjoyed it