Chapter 11: Heartbroken

Elsa

They're dead. They're all dead. That's what they told her. They died on the trip out on the sea, the sea claimed them and took them as it's prisoners. It took the crew, the passengers, and the King and Queen... her parents.

He died, she tells her, he saved me... I'm sorry, I just- if you ever need someone... I have to go. Here, he was going to surprise you, tonight. His sister's smile is pained, he loved you, you know? Elsa could still feel the echo of Alexandria's arms around her.

She didn't cry. She hadn't cried since she found out about any of their deaths. And she wasn't sure if this made her a monster or just human.

"Elsa?" It was Ana. Ana... The most important person left to her... Elsa couldn'f loose her, too. She walked to the door and reached a hand out to the handle, pausing just before she pushed it open and retracted her hand— No. Not today. The last thing she wanted was to loose another loved one. She fell down against the door and leaned back on the wooden door between them. She needed to be close to her sister, and this was as close as she would allow herself.

"Please, I know you're in there." She sounded heartbroken, and hurt her to know that she couldn't do anything about it. While she hadn't cried yet, her room was freezing and her own fingers felt numb. She wasn't sure anymore if that was from the cold or the heartbreak, she almost wished it were the cold. Because at least that'd mean she'd be able to feel something.

"People are asking where you've been. They say "have courage", and I'm trying to..."

Elsa rested her head against her knees and finally let herself break. She wasn't crying because they were dead. She was crying because they weren't living anymore. Because never again would she see her parents comforting smiles or Jack's endearing smirks or be able to feel any kind of warmth again because she wouldn't allow herself to put Ana in any kind of danger. Ever.

"I'm right out here for you, please let me in."

She felt as though someone had taken her heart and frozen it, then shattered it into a million shards of glass and ice. And the pieces were piercing her lungs and lodged in her throat, and she couldn't breathe. Because if she let out one small sound, she would crumble, and she didn't want to hurt anyone ever again. Because if this is what it felt like to have your heart broken, she would keep her love secret and safe, so it would never hurt anyone as their love had hurt her.

Because love was a reciprocated feeling, a feeling that only multiplied when you knew it was returned. A feeling that hurt when it only went one way, but one that would hurt far less like this than if something bad happened to what was once good.

"We only have each other. It's just me and you. What are we going to do?"

It was then she realized how utterly and completely alone she was. She leaned her head against the door and let her breath catch and her tears leak from her eyes, and let the frost and ice spread throughout her room. She was so absorbed in her pain, she almost didn't hear Ana's last words:

"Do you wanna build a snowman?"

***

Last Edited: 3.14.16