Just A Break

Tegan's P.O.V
March 2015

~~~

It's been about a week since the heartbreaking ultrasound. Everyone is still upset, but everything has been so busy. It feels terrible not to be able to slow down and grieve.

"I just, I don't know!" I hear yelling from the boys' room.

Romeo is at the recording studio for his own album, so it was just the five boys here with me. None have them had come to pester me yet, so that was unusual.

Last night I found Harry crying around the middle of the night, but he wouldn't tell me what was wrong. I let him paint my nails. After he kissed my forehead goodnight.

What the fluck are these boys arguing about now? I get up from the couch, and tiptoe to their door. I crack it open. Zayn is standing by the hotel door, Liam is standing in front of him, Louis is sitting on the sofa with his feet on the coffee table, Niall sits beside him, and Harry stands with his hands in his pockets.

"During the show last night I just realized. I had a breaking point. I can't keep it up anymore. None of this is me, like I'm not myself here." Zayn mumbles the last part.

"What are you trying to say, mate?" Louis asks.

"What I'm trying to say is," Zayn sighs. "I need a break."

"A break? A break from tour?" Niall asks.

"A break from this whole band thing. I want to leave. I called Harry last night." Zany admits.

The other three look at Harry. His hands cover his eyes.

"That's what happened Harry?" I speak up, tears brimming my eyes.

All their heads turn toward me.

"Tegan," Zayn whispers, covering his face with his hands.

The room is silent, I can hear the clock ticking. I can hear all our heartbeats. Every single one of our's.

"A break? Bullshit! We need you! Brothers for life, huh?" I scoff.

"Tegan, calm down." Liam walks toward me.

I shut my eyes and cover my mouth with my hand.

"Tegan look at me!" Zayn's arm gestured down his body. He pulls at his baggy jeans. "My health. I can't eat. I can't sleep. I've lost control over myself."

"So has everyone! Everyone has been put through hell, not just you." I remind, looking him straight in the eyes.

"This isn't me. It's not my style of music. Four albums and four tours in only four years. It's insane. When I don't even enjoy doing this." Zayn defends.

"But what about them?" I gestured to his band mates of almost five years.

"Tegan, his isn't the last of One Direction." Louis spoke up.

They were all being extremely calm about this.

"What have I done?" I ask, quietly, looking down.