Chapter 28: When The Sinners Go Marching In

Chapter 28

"I'm fine. I promise."

It's the sixth time he's repeated that for her benefit yet she's not truly convinced. For all intents and purposes last night his father died. It's not a great surprise she knows but finally his brain died at 9pm and that had been that. Only now at 11am Carlos is heading for his father's funeral and Lola's not at all sure he's 'fine'. Though she admits he looks damn fine. Not that she should be focusing on that right now but it's not like she can simply shut it off. Her female hormones urged by her brain of this new emotion of 'love', are raging. The completely black ensemble suit should make him look ridiculous but as always he gives it that sexy, bad boy charm which like most good girl's she's sucked into. 

"Lola," sighs Carlos as he plants a chaste kiss on her frowning lips.
The woman really needs to stop looking at him like he's going to breakdown any minute now, or that he should. He's said his goodbyes or rather already allowed for his grief, there's no more that's going to be pouring out of him anytime soon. He's more concerned about the shit storm that's about to explode after the funeral when everyone realises that Alberto Castellano is finally dead and is not going back anytime soon. Then there's trying to deal with his brother and his greed to expand.

"Okay but promise me you'll...stay safe. I imagine there'll be a lot of big mob guys there so don't do anything that-"
"Piccola, I will be back at the end of the day as always, okay? Not stop worrying. I'll see you soon and...say your goodbye's to Joseph today." 

Those big brown eyes staring up at him flash with sadness but she simply nods in compliance. Good. He knows they've become friends and like it will pain him to stay away from his best friend it's also going to pain Lola, however it's necessary. There's no telling what may happen soon and so they need to stay prepared.

Carlos takes in the people in attendance. He recognises most of them but a few are a blur of unknowns. He thanks the millionth person for their fake condolences. It's all just a formality anyway. They don't mean their sentiments and Carlos doesn't blame them. His father certainly had very few redeeming qualities and they were definitely not shared publicly. 

"I am so very sorry for the loss of Al, Carlos. He was a...successful and truly resourceful man," offers the Mayor.
Carlos's eyes narrow momentarily at the man as he recalls more than a few of the blackmail videos his father has of him. Video's of him with his multiple women, women who were definitely not approved by his wife, and then there's the smoking, gambling and drinking. Nothing too severe but all added up, it would not look good for his political career. 

"He certainly was a powerhouse," agrees Carlos diplomatically.

"A hard man who's footprints are hard to follow."
"Not for his son," cuts in Caterina sharply.
Carlos allows her to have the jab, not bothering to correct her. For now, let her and the rest of them assume he'll be taking over. He'll have to until he can devise a plan that will stop the system but also hopefully, not have his brother murder him for it. And amongst all that no matter how much his mom hates it, she'll have to go back home to Italy where it'll be safe for her.

"Of course, my apologies Don," nods the Mayor.
Carlos remains impassive externally at the use of the title but internally he cringes. That word to him has only negative connotations and to be referred to as a Don has his soul withering in displeasure.
"Once again I am sorry for your loss and I assume there will be a meeting soon about the new...management?"
Right. Of course, Carlos will have to address their 'staff' and clients.
"You assume correctly. However, the meeting will be kept short. I do not intend to change my father's...regime."
Not yet at least. Not until he's thought about what he's going to do more.
"Very good," mutters the Mayor and with a nod to Caterina moves along.