Chapter 3: The Canary's Cage

Chapter 3

Lola gapes for a moment lost as to what to do to. She glances around the lavish open plan room wondering what to do. In a flash, she refuses to follow Carlos. Besides, she has more pressing matters. Food. She places her bag of stuff, they’d taken from her own room onto one of the breakfast bar stools as she searches around the cupboards and fridge.
Strangely enough, it’s stocked really well and of actual healthy food. Ergh. She’s pretty sure there’s not even one candy bar stored there or a bag of chips-how does anyone live like that?! Lola tries as best she can to get her veg and fruit but…candy. Candy is her special treat to herself. Looks like Carlos is even taking that away from her.
Still, with a sigh, Lola takes out the ham, bread and butter; debating whether to make him one as well.

Her natural instinct would be to-because well, she may as well since she’s making one for herself. But this is Carlos. And she doesn’t owe Carlos anything.

She’s taking her first bite, when he strolls back into her view. But having ditched his stuffy suit…for a pair of sweats and a plain grey t-shirt. Suddenly, the mouthful of bread and ham goes dry and she has to swallow the dry mass-hard. Undeniably, he looks good. But naturally beautiful people are like that. They have that annoying nack for looking great in any look. But Carlos…Carlos and suits are just…

“I was hungry,” she explains herself unnecessarily taking another bite.
He simply nods-not the reaction she was expecting.

She wearily watches as he strides around her and from a container in the fridge takes out a pre-made tuna salad. Digging into it with a fork, he seats himself in the free stool.
“Why am I here, Carlos?” she asks breaking their silence.

“Where would you rather I take you, Miss Beaumont?”
She rolls her eyes, “oh I don’t know? Don’t you mob bosses have some secret underground dungeon or…or like some seedy strip club or…”
A bemused smile flitters at his luscious lips before he shakes his head.
“I’m afraid I don’t own any of those…establishments, but if you wish to visit-”
Lola blushes profusely at that. Is he seriously teasing her?
Dear God, do sweats have some magical power on his up-tightness or something?

“No but this is like…your home.”

He raises an eyebrow at that before answering evenly, “that’s because it is.”

“Finish up. I’ll show you your room.”

End of conversion, then.

She leaves the plate in the sink and picks up her things before following him down the narrow hallway. There are 2 doors either side and one straight down the end.
Opening the one of the side doors, he steps inside as does she. Like with everything that Carlos has done so far, he surprises her. It’s not some hovel with straw for bedding. Instead there’s actually a proper double bed in the room. A luxurious double bed to be more precise and for Lola it looks like heaven. Her whole life, she’s had the same springy second hand single cot but now…Holy shit and the room! Sturdy, polished wooden furnishings; a plush, soft carpet; and a vanity built for a princess.

“Is this a joke? This is my room?” breathes Lola staring at the man with wide eyes.
He glances around passively before giving a curt nod.
“For now. The bathroom is through there,” he informs her pointing towards another door.
Lola’s eyes go even wider. Is he for real? She has her own freaking bathroom now? What the hell happened to being a prisoner?! This is like…freaking royalty.

A sudden stroke of realisation quickly flashes through her at the thought of royalty.
“So…am I like…your mistress?”
All the showering of nice things-he surely wants something in return. No one does anything without wanting something in return-whether it’s consciously or subconsciously.
“Perhaps.”
“Is that a yes or a no?” she demands. Why the hell can he not give her a straight answer? He’s the one who’s done this to her, the one who brought her here, stuck his freaking body in her. And now?! Now, he doesn’t know what she even is to him?!
“It is neither, Miss Beaumont. You will be what I need you to be, what I want you to be. You have 10 minutes to settle in and then there are ground rules we need to discuss. I shall be waiting in the lounge.”

Lola says nothing and allows her bag to drop as he gently shuts the door behind him. She glances around the place, more critically this time before heading over to the furniture. The drawers are first to be flung open. Understandably they’re empty, just like much of the drawers and closet. With a sigh, Lola tips over the bag onto the bed sceptical as to its contents. They better not have gone through her personal belongings. But then again….what the hell will she do if they haven’t taken her undergarments. She damn well refuses Carlos’s ‘no underwear’ crap, no matter what sort of power-play he does.
Tipping the bag over onto the bed, its contents fall out in a big jumbled pile and Lola’s left to sort out the crinkled mess of clothes.