75. Event Part 2

**** reference of what a gazebo generally looks like ^^ ****

I hadn't been able to tear my eyes away from Ronnie for more than a moment since I had first spotted me. He hadn't acknowledged my presence yet, and I knew he probably wouldn't at all. I tried to be understanding but it made my heart beat painfully. He didn't want to be around me in public.

Maybe this was a bad idea.

Esha gripped my arm and then I was being pulled behind a greenhouse, pushed against the wall while she held me in place with her arms.

"Oh my, I had no idea you liked me like this. You're kinda hot when you're all dominant and shit" I said, grinning slightly.

She gave me a half-smile, her eyes serious. I immediately stared at her, all joking out of my mind.

"I knew I shouldn't have come home, I'm sorry for dragging you into it." Her face was scrunched up in annoyance, like she couldn't stand being here.

"Do you want to tell me what's going on? These are some fucked up dynamics, I know dysfunctional family but shit your sister's a bit-" Her hands covered my mouth before I could let loose the string of insults.

"She gets it from my mom. I've never been as easily entitled as they are. That's why I left. We never got along. They wanted me to be some model or a housewife to some rich friend of theirs. They didn't want me to do anything worthwhile in life, I was just supposed to sit back and look pretty." Her eyes were pinched, like she was holding back tears, or holding back memories.

"So, I left. I went to college, and after that they cut off contact. Of course, then they saw me in the magazines with Andy, and they suddenly want to be back in my life. They didn't tell me, but I overheard them on the phone, they're planning something. Probably staging an intervention, that's what this party is for. They probably think he's some bad influence."

I didn't speak, only listened, and once she was done, I pulled her in for a hug. The day had passed, the sun setting low in the sky, and dozens of little lights turned on, looking like little fairies frozen in place. I resisted the urge to admire it, the way it reflected off of Esha, making her seem like an otherworldly being.

"You know how good I am at causing drama. Want me to stir up a little chaos, and then you can escape unseen?"

She looked to be seriously considering my offer. However, she didn't answer, instead she just pulled me back to the party. She let go of my hand, and I carefully slipped through the crowd to the food table.

They may be stuck up bitches, but the food looks pretty good, so I would set my pride aside and try some of it.

It's not like they made it, please, they probably haven't even touched a mixing bowl in their life. They'd be too scared to get dirty or smudge their nail polish. I'm convinced that the guys wear it too, because nobody's nails are that smooth and shiny.

I reached out to grab a bite sized pie, but my fingers brushed against someone else's hands instead of the smooth dough.

I recognized the hand immediately, the tattoos that I had memorized, the hands that used to hold me at night and keep me safe.

Ronnie.

For a moment I got lost as I stared at his face illuminated by the blue lights surrounding the yard. He looked as beautiful as ever.

I gave him a polite smile. Looks like he wasn't feeling it though, because he just looked away without a word.

I frowned, glaring at him and quickly melding back into the crowd. I started off towards the greenhouse to hide until I could calm myself.