84. Twenty Two, No Feeling Blue

**** Only 16 chapters left, holy shit. It's inching it's way to the end. How do you guys feel? I promise you it will end nicely, so don't worry too much! I've given you enough feels to last a lifetime, eh? ****

It's been an entire month since I made up with August and the universe finally pitied me enough to leave me be in my newlyfound happiness.

It still doesn't feel real, but I try not to linger on that fact. Rather, I just enjoy it instead. Life was looking good and I wasn't going to question it's motives or reasons, I was just going to take advantage of the nice streak.

Today? Today was a big day. A day I had never imagined would come. I was officially 22 today. August was officially 22 today. I couldn't be happier that we were actually in contact so that we could share this spectacular moment with each other.

The only thing that could make this any better was if he was actually physically here, but he couldn't be, he was still in school, and I wasn't going to let that bother me too much.

After all, it was his life, it was what he wanted to do. He didn't give me shit for not pursuing future schooling, and I shouldn't give him shit for pursuing future schooling. He was doing what he loved and I would support him for that.

I tried not to let it bring my mood down. I had a big day today. It was a busy one alright.

First, Leah was taking me out to breakfast. Then we were going to an amusement part before meeting up with Esha and Luna for lunch.

Then, we would all go roam the city together, probably buying lots of unnecessary things and having way too much fun.

After that, I was being whisked away by Ronnie to do god knows what, and then, at the end of the night, we would all come together for a celebration and totally illegal fireworks in Ronnie's backyard.

I couldn't be more excited, aside from wishing August was here.

Thinking of him, I quickly got up and grabbed my phone, video-calling him. It was the perfect way to start out our birthday, in my mind.

He answered after the third ring, and I was met with him and Mae huddled together in front of the screen. The sight immediately made me grin. It looked like they were on a bus or something, there were puffy seats behind them.

"Happy 22nd you fucker!" I yelled, and Mae chuckled loudly, so I almost didn't hear August reply.

"22 years and you're still the same asshole."

"It's all about consistency, son." I winked at them and August shook his head smiling at me. Mae waved cutely and winked at me before tickling August until he was a shrieking mess.

My heart felt warm and full. I used to feel uncomfortable when this happened. I usually ruined the nice feeling by wondering how long it would last.

I was done with that though. Yesterday had been good. Today was good. Tomorrow would be good. Life could be good, and it would be, if I'd just let go of the bad and let life work itself out the way it felt right. I had no business questioning it, after all, I was just here for the ride.

"Are you guys going somewhere?" They shared a look and I was momentarily unsettled. They seemed to be sharing a secret.

"Yeah, a birthday party."

I nodded suspiciously, before our call was interrupted by a loud ringing.

"Go, that's probably RonBon calling for you."

August hung up before I had the chance to respond.

He was right, it was Ronnie.

We talked for a while before he let me go, and I wasn't even off the phone for a second before Leah was dragging me out of the house.

The day went by quickly, and soon we were all headed to Ronnie's house. He had cancelled on our one-on-one time, saying he had some last minute preparations to finish, but he promised to make it up to me.

I trusted that he would.

When we made it to Ronnie's, I was immediately pulled up the stairs.

I stared at Ronnie, not surprised as he pressed his lips to mine gently. Returning the pressure, I grinned as he lightly pulled away and kissed my temple.

"Happy 22nd, babe."

I smiled up at him, feeling no need for words. He handed me a bag before leaving the room, and I quickly changed into the bathing suit before rushing down the stairs.

I had been waiting to get in his pool all day. Especially after walking the city, I couldn't wait to relax in the cool water and look up at the night sky. Maybe I'd even get to see some stars, if I was really lucky.

However, I was met with a very different surprise as I walked into the backyard.

A petite girl, her arm slung around a lanky boy that looked familiar yet I knew had never been here before.

I didn't let out a warning. I broke out into a run and jumped on the boys back, sending both of us tumbling into the pool whilst the girl slipped out of harms way.

When we resurfaced I grinned and hugged him tightly, my arms slick around his shoulders, his hair dripping water steadily onto mine.

"August! You're here! Happy birthday!"

He nodded to me, still a little surprised from being forcibly sent into the cold pool.

I helped him out and grinned, offering a wet hug to Mae, who surprisingly took it enthusiastically.

"But how did you guys-?"

"It's the weekend, and I knew August wanted to share your birthday together, so Ronnie and I got to talking and, well, ta da!" Mae sounded even more excited than I felt, and I smiled as August grinned at her, his eyes shining like she was the all of the stars in the universe.

A strong arm wrapped around my waist and I leaned into Ronnie happily, the very same wonder in my eyes as I stared at him.

"Do you like the surprise?" His voice was a whisper, meant only for me.

"I love it, thank you."

Then, fireworks were wizzing off, and it may not have been stars, but it felt better, because it was ours.