Chapter 2

I greeted my father with a quick kiss on the cheek before getting into the vehicle. He got in and the car then pulled away.

"I'm sorry, my dear. I know you just got back but..." My father said as he saw that I had noticed the files in a box on the seat next to Stark. I smiled at him in assurance.

"It's okay, father. I don't mind." I placed my hand on top of his and smiled, gently. I looked out the window as the driver pulled up to the World Exposition of Tomorrow. The driver opened the door and offered his hand as I got out. I looked up at the recruiting sign and smiled at the memory that appeared.

"I remember when I signed up." I said to myself. My father placed a gently hand on my back as he passed me.

"So do I. Come on, my dear." As he guided us in, I was handed some files and my father was whisked away by others.

"Move the already accepted here, for slight questioning. Then we'll do the exams,........here. Also,-""Ma'am?" I looked up at the man who interrupted me.

"Move the eligibles here for further exams after the physical ones." I wrote down on the lay out of the flooring. I passed the pen to the man and he took it.

"Right away, ma'am." He ran off and out of sight.

"Excited?" I jerked around to face Howard, who was fancied up in his new suit. I brushed his sleeves and smiled at the soft feeling of the fabric.

"Are you? I mean, you are revealing some of the country's best minded technology." I asked back. He smiled, big.

"The flying car. Who else would have thought of it?" He joked.

"Only you, of course. Now go get finished getting ready. I also have to get ready." I ordered him, playfully.

"Yes, ma'am." He saluted me and walked away.

I laughed a bit before walking into the room where my dress was being held. My dress was halfway on when the door jerked opened. I quickly tried to cover myself.

"Get out!" I ordered at the unseen person.

"Sorry darling, didn't know you were redressing." My father said as I glanced behind me. He had shut the door until it was barely open a crack. I pushed my arms through the holes and zipped up the back. I slid on the cover-up to keep my arms and shoulders warm and opened the door.

"It's alright." I reassured my father. He patted my hand. That's when I noticed files in his hands.

"Do you mind?" He also glanced down at the files in his own hands and I smiled at him.

"Not at all." I gently transferred the files from his hands into mine. I opened one as I walked down the hall, hearing laughing but ignoring it.

"Come on, soldier." A woman said as I looked up.

Ahead of me, a short scrawny man in a nice suit stepped up on the plate for the display. Only the top of his head showed up in the hologram, where it should have filled the empty spot. A man walked up behind him in an uniform and pushed his shoulder. I decided against my better judgement to listen in on the coversation.

"Come on, you're missing the point of a double date. We're taking the girls dancing." The taller man said.

"You go ahead. Ill catch up with you." The shorter man told.

"You're really going to do this again?" The darker haired man asked. The shorter man shrugged.

"Well it's a fair. Try my luck." He answered.

"Who? Steve from Ohio? They'll catch you or worse, they'll actually take you." The taller man complained. I waved off the man who started to come up to me and continued to watch.