Chapter 27

I don't know when I fell asleep but I was jerked awake by a ding from the computer. I groaned as I opened my eyes and rubbed them. Once I stopped, Fury was standing in the middle of the room.

"What are you going, Mr. Stark?" Fury asked him.

"Uh kind of been wondering the same about you." Tony shot back at him. I leaned back against the table and watched them.

"You're supposed to be locating the tesseract." Fury reminded him.

"We are. The model's locked and we're sweeping for the signature now. When we get a hit, we'll get the location in a half a mile." Banner told him.

"Yeah, you'll get your cube back. No fuss. What is 'Phase 2'?" Tony asked. I jumped when a gun was slammed down on the table next to me. It was very familiar. I glance up at Steve, his face filled with anger, then I turned to Fury. I stood up and crossed my arms.

"Phase 2 is S.H.I.E.L.D. using the cube to make weapons. Sorry, computer was moving a little slow for me." Steve told Tony.

"That is, we gathered everything related to the tesseract. This does not mean-""I'm sorry, Nick. What were you lying?" Tony interrupted him as he showed Fury the device.

"I was wrong, Director. The world hasn't changed a bit." Steve hissed out. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Thor and Nat walk in.

"Did you know about this?" Banner asked Nat.

"Do you wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, Dr.?" She asked him. Remove himself?

"I was in Acadia. I was pretty well removed." Banner reminded her.

"Loki's manipulating you." Nat said to him.

"And you been doing what exactly?" He shot back at her.

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you." Nat reminded him.

"Yeah because I'm not leaving because you get a little twitchy. I'd like to know why S.H.I.E.L.D. is using the tesseract to build weapons of mas destruction?" Banner asked, turning to Fury.

"Because of him." Fury answered, pointing at Thor.

"Me?" Thor asked, confused.

"Last year, Earth had a visitor from another planet, who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned not only we're not alone but that we're hopelessly, hilariously outgunned." Fury explained.

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet." Thor told him.

"But you're not the only people out there, are you? And you're not the only threat. The world's filling up with people who can't be matched. They can't be controlled." Fury said, looking around at us.

"Like you controlled the cube." Everyone turned to me, forgetting that I was even there. I was angry, Fury knew that just by my voice.

"Your work with the tesseract is what drew Loki to it. And his allies. It is a signal to all the realms that the Earth is ready for a higher form of war." Thor stated. My eyes widened.

"A higher form?" Steve asked.

"You forced our hand. We had to come up with some-""Nuclear deterrent. Cause that always calms everything down." Tony interrupted Fury.

"Remind me again on how you made your fortune, Stark." Fury said.

"I'm sure if he made weapons, Stark would be neck deep." Steve said. Tony turned to him.

"Hold on, how is this now about me?" Tony asked. Steve cocked his head at him.

"I'm sorry, isn't everything?" I glanced up at Steve. I never seen him like this before. It showed a different side of him.

"I thought humans were more evolved than this." Thor said.

"Excuse me, did we come to your planet and blow stuff up?" Fury asked Thor.

"Are you boys really that naïve? S.H.I.E.L.D. monitors potential threats." Nat added in the fight. I watched from the side as they started to fight one another.

"I feel threatened." Tony said, fighting with Steve.

"Show some respect." Steve ordered him.

"You speak of control but you cause chaos." I heard Thor say.

"I mean, what are we, a team?" We all turned to Banner. "No, no, no. We're a chemical mixture that makes chaos. We're, we're a time bomb."

"You need to step away." Fury ordered him.

"Why shouldn't the guy let off a little steam?" Tony suggested, placing a hand on Steve's shoulder. Steve slapped it away.

"You know damn well know why. Back off." He ordered Stark.

"Oh I'm starting to make you want me too." Tony shot back.

"Yeah, big man in a suit of armor. Take that off, what are you?" Steve asked.

"Genius, billionaire, play boy, philamperist." Tony answered.

"I know guys with none of that, worth ten of you. I've seen the footage. The only thing you really fight for is yourself. You're not the guy who makes the sacrifice play, to lay down on the wire and let the other guy crawl over you." Steve explained.

"I think I would just cut the wire." Tony replied.

"Always a way out. You know, you may not be a threat but you better stop pretending to be a hero." Steve ordered him.

"A hero? Like you. You're a laboratory experiment, Rogers. Everything special about you came out of a bottle." Tony hissed. I looked away from everyone, flashes of my father's death filled my mind.

"Put on the suit, we'll go a few rounds." Thor laughs at Steve's comment.

"You people are so petty and tiny." Thor commented.

"Yeah, this is a team." Banner added.

"Agent Romanoff, would you please escort Dr. Banner back to his-""Where? You rented my room." Banner interrupted Fury.

"The cell was just incase-""Just incase you need to kill me but you can't. I know, I tried." Banner interrupted again. "I got low. I didn't see an end so I put a bullet in my mouth and the other guy spit it out. So I moved on, I focused on helping other people. I was good until you dragged me back to this freak show and put everyone here at risk. You want to know my secret, Agent Romanoff? You want to know how I stay calm."

"Bruce." I said his real name. He turned to me, with a crazy look in his eye. I kept my hands away from my gun. "Put down the scepter."

A ding from the computer filled the room.

"We got it." Tony said.

"Sorry kids, you don't get to see my party trick after all." Banner said walking over to the computer.

"You located the tesseract." Thor said.

"I can get there faster." Tony said.

"The tesseract belongs on Asgard. No human is a match for it." Thor told them. I moved over to Banner, looking past his shoulder and at the computer.

"You're not going alone." Steve said.

"You going to stop me?" Tony asked.

"Put on the suit and let's find out." Steve urged him.

"I'm not afraid of you, old man." Tony stated.

"Put on the suit." Steve ordered.

"Oh my god." Banner whispered.

The ship rumbled as fire erupted in my face. Banner was forced back into me as we both were forced through the glass window. I landed on the ground, then Banner landed on top of me, glass falling around us. I felt Banner hands fist my shirt in his hands as he started to huff. I looked around and saw Nat. She then spoke up as she glanced at me then Bruce.

"We're okay, right?"