Chapter 23

"Agent Donovan?" I heard Phil's voice in my ear.

"What?" I asked him as I punched a guy in the throat. He gurgled as he went down. I kicked him in the face and ducked under the next man who jumped at me.

"What's so important that you need to tell me as I'm trying to complete this mission?" I asked him, twirling around, avoiding the man's fist.

"Agent Barton has been compromised." Phil told me.

"Let me put you on hold." I told him. I jerked out my gun and started to shot at any man who came at me. I threw my gun at one of the man and it hit him on the head. He went down and I turned around, seeing one last man. He ran at me and I flipped around, kicking him in the neck. He instantly went down and I grabbed my gun.

"How long?" I asked Phil. I walked up the ramp into the waiting jet and buckled myself in. The jet lifted off.

"Two days." He told me. My jaw hardened.

"Be there in four hours."

I walked into the control room with medics following me. Many of the agents stared at me as I marched right up to Fury. He turned to me and I punched him.

"That's for not telling me about Clint." I hissed at him. He nodded and turned to Nat. It was nice seeing her, she was the only thing that connected me to Clint.

"Agent Romanoff, meet Dr. Banner at the landing. You, go get debriefed." He told me.

"I've been debriefed. Tell me what happened." I ordered him.

"All I can tell you right now, is that he has been compromised." He repeated. I huffed at him and sat down at the main table in the room. I stared at the window, waiting. Knowing he would tell me. The medic team tabbed the blood away from my face, then bandaged my eyebrow a little.

"It's going to bruise but you'll still be beautiful." The woman said.

"Thank you." I whispered to her. The medic team went away and I flinched when a file was thrown at me. It landed on the table and I opened it. The first thing I saw was the cube.

"Hydra's secret weapon. How'd you get it?" I asked Fury.

"Howard Stark fished that out of the ocean when he was looking for you and Steve. He thought what we think, the tesseract could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy. That's something the world needs." Fury told me.

"I've been awake for two an a half years. Why didn't you tell me?" I asked him.

"You were adjusting." He replied.

"No, I was working. On your mission. So who took it?" I went back to the file.

"He's called Loki. He's from Asgard." He stated to me.

"Another Asgardian. Don't we already have one of those?" He smiled slightly. I was the only one to get a slight smile out of him. People always say that I was his favorite.

"Yes." He replied. I threw the file back at him.

"This should be fun." I sarcastically said. The doors opened and Phil walked in. He looked over at me.

"Agent Donovan." He greeted me.

"Phil." I reminded him. He gave me an embarrassed look then looked away from me. I felt the rumbling under my chair as the Helicarrier lifted into the air. I stood up and moved to the window, looking out of it. I gasped as I saw ice. I jumped when a hand landed on my shoulder.

"You okay?" I turned to Phil. Then I looked back out the window. Seeing no ice. My nightmares were coming real. I gave him a fake smile.

"I'm fine." I leaned my head against the glass like the coldness of it. My thoughts went to Steve. His baby blues. His light blonde hair.

"We're at level, sir." I heard Maria say.

"Good. Let's vanish. Gentlemen." Fury said to someone.

I turned my head slightly and caught eyes with someone. But those eyes were the ones that haunted my dreams every night. I turned fully to look at him, and his eyes widened. I heard Phil start talking, and he turned to him. I walked over to Nat.

"It's eyes and ears for us." Phil told him. I glance over at Clint's picture on the screen.

"It's still not going to find him in time." I told Phil. I caught Steve's eyes again and held them.

"At least we can rule out some places. Do you have a place for me to work?" Banner asked.

"Agent Donovan, show Dr. Banner to his lab please." Fury asked me. I walked over and passed Fury.

"Anymore secrets?" I whispered to him, cocking my head to Steve. Then I turned back to Banner. "Come on Doc, we got all the toys."

I led him down the hall. He was silent for the most part.

"You can ask, you know." I told him, having a feeling he wanted too.

"How did you get roped in all this?" He finally asked me.

"I can guess you read about me?" I asked him.

"Yes, you're 'The Siren.'" He said my code name.

"Well I'm more than an agent. I was an assistant for my father.  He was the greatest mind in 1940s. He created America's new hope." I said.

"Erskine, right? He was your father, wasn't he?" He guessed.

"Yes. And let me tell you, he didn't use gamma rays."