Chapter 12

My shoulder throbbed in pain as I glanced up at the zip line from where I was sitting. I glanced down at the tracks behind me and shook my head. Steve walked up and stood next to me, also looking at the tracks. Bucky then appeared on the other side of Steve.

"Remember when I made you ride the Cyclone at Cony Island?" Bucky asked.

"Yeah, and I threw up." Steve replied.

"This isn't pay back is it?" Bucky asked. Steve looked up at the zip line.

"And why would I do that?" He asked. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him glance down at me and smile softly. I looked up at him and saw the outline of the compass in his pocket. I looked away, blushing. Remembering the photo of me that he kept hidden away from prying eyes.

"We were right." We all turned to Gabe. "Dr. Zola's on the train. Hydra's dispatcher gave him the okay to open up the throttle. Wherever he's going, they must need him bad."

"Let's get going because they're moving like the devil." James told us. I stood up and Steve attached a holder.

"We only got about a 10 second window. You miss that window, we're bugs on a windshield." Steve told us.

"Mind the gap." James said to us.

"Better get moving bugs!" Dum Dum told us.

Steve slid off then Bucky followed after him. I attached my holder and slid off with Gabe following me. Steve and Bucky dropped onto the top of the train then Bucky caught me as I let go. We walked along the train until we reached a latter. We all climbed in but Gabe. I went down one hallway as Steve and Bucky went down another. I jerked around as the door slammed shut behind me.

I turned back as something started buzzing and quickly moved out of the way of the blast. I looked up at the man who was holding the blaster gun as he fired again. I jumped over it and kicked the gun from his hands. I yanked out my gun but he too, knocked it out of my hands.

He threw the first punch at me but I managed to dodge it. I grabbed his outstretched arm and jerked it behind him. He slammed his head back, making me fall back from the blow. He got on top of me and punched me. I felt the blood rushing to my face as I stopped moving. The man got up, thinking he had defeated me.

I tangled my feet with his and yanked them back. He fell forward and I grabbed my gun. I stood up as he did and shot him in the back. He fell right back to the ground and the door opened. A man was standing to his back to me, aiming at Bucky.

Bucky fired at the man and the man fired at him. I quickly attached myself to the man's back and snapped his neck. I moved to the opening of the train, watching as Steve reached out to Bucky. He moved further to him as he held out his hand.

"Bucky, hang on!" Steve shouted out. "Grab my hand! No!"

Steve screamed as the pole that Bucky was holding onto broke. I watched in horror as Bucky screamed out in terror. His body soon disappeared into the ice cold mountains. Steve slowly came back inside the train and jerked me to him.

He shoved his head into my neck as I felt tears hit my shoulder. His arms tightened around me. I closed my eyes and the image of Bucky's falling body flashed in front of my eyes.

And it stayed there.