18-Betrayal

Photo Insert: Lance and Lindsay

To say that Lindsay was shocked was an understatement. When the door of Lance's penthouse apartment closed, she had to steady herself as her knees weakened from Ramon's parting words. She leaned on the wall while still reeling from his words.

"Ms. Lindsay, you are merely the horrific past, now this girl is his present. . ."

"Im. . . Im just his past? He already moved on? But why?" Lindsay painfully asked while she tried to compose herself.

"Are you seriously asking that question?" Lindsay was startled but she knew that voice. It was Lance's best friend.

"Marco. . . You surprised me."

"Lindsay, what surprises me is you being here after what you did!" He tried to control the anger that he was feeling at that moment.

Marco never liked Lindsay. He just tolerated her since he knew Lance cared about this girl before. He could not say that Lance loved her because he did not see any chemistry between them.

"I just want to talk to him. I want to explain and I. . . I want him back." She's close to tears as she admitted her real intention for being there.

"Im not sorry to say this Lindsay, because this is the truth, the best thing that happened to my friend was that he saw you for what you truly were before he committed himself fully to you." Marco scoffed at her.

"Why are you being so hard on me? I loved him and I made him happy."

"See? Loved! . . . made! . . . Even the words you used were all in past tense. Just like you, a person from his past!"

"I want to make amends Marco. I just need to speak to him. Please help me." Lindsay was now kneeling in front of him begging him to help her.

"No! Lindsay stop this! Get up! I will not be swayed by your conniving ways! I knew about you and Suzie but I was just afraid of what he will do when he finds out. I'm glad you showed him your true self before I had the chance to tell him myself!"

Lindsay was silent for a while then she stood up and faced Marco with mixture of fear and determination on her eyes.

"What the hell do you mean by that?"

"I saw you two months ago. I went here to give Lance some papers. I thought he was here since he wasn't picking up his phone."

"How did you get in?" She nervously asked.

"I have keys remember? He trusts me with his life remember?! The best part of my trip here was I saw you and Suzie kissing each other by his bed, here at his home!  I swear, I almost puked at myself!"

"Wha. . . what are you talking about?" Lindsay felt like the whole world is now against her.

"I left right away but I made sure that I had an evidence. I was planning to tell Lance but then the engagement thing got in the way. His grandparents were so excited. I knew I had to find a way to tell him so I blackmailed your bestfriend, or should I say, long time girlfriend, to ensure that the wedding will not push through." He said this with obvious contempt and anger that Lindsay flinched at his words.

"Huh?  . . . What are you saying?" Lindsay was now slumped at the floor, leaning on the wall of Lance's hallway.

"I was a coward not being able to tell Lance because I never wanted to see him get hurt. So I told Suzie if she do not do something to break you and Lance apart, I will show the pictures I took of you and her kissing and release that to the media. . . "

Lindsay was now recovering from her misery and was now lividly looking at Marco as if ready to pounce on him on the first chance she have.

". . .I cannot bear the thought of my best friend marrying a con artist like you! A pretentious b*tch such as yourself should never have anything as good as Lance." Marco continued.

"You! You ruined everything!" Lindsay suddenly stood up with balled fists and tried to attack Marco until someone unexpectedly stopped her.

Lance suddenly showed up from behind Marco who's back was at the elevator. They did not notice the elevator door open.

"Stop this! You! You're the one who ruined everything! How dare you attack my best friend here at my home!" Lance almost threw Lindsay on the wall but just managed to shove her aside.

"Don't defend him! He knew all along that I was cheating on you and he betrayed you! He didn't tell you!" Lindsay threw dagger looks at Marco who was not able to look at Lance.

"How dare you talk about betrayal? You, who made me think our relationship was perfect while all the while sneaking behind my back? Through all these years, Lindsay, Suzie was always with us during our out of town trips. There were even nights where you will sleep at her room instead of mine. Did I question anything? No! Because I gave you my utmost trust Lindsay! I even almost trusted you with my future! I never cheated on you despite the months that we spend apart. So how dare you talk about betrayal. . ." Lance could no longer control the tremor from his voice as he shouted these words.

". . .Marco? Marco will never betray me Lindsay, I am sure of that. At least, he tried to find a way to tell me. He tried Lindsay! While you. . . you led me to believe that we were happy and can work everything out. You're being pathetic Lindsay. How can you do this to yourself? Where's the Lindsay I knew? The one who was caring and kind? Or was it really you? Or were you just pretending all along. . .?"

". . . I've had enough. Whatever you say, it still boils down to one thing, YOU cheated on ME. You betrayed my trust. It was you Lindsay. It was all you. So please stop putting blame on other people."

His soft and quivering voice as he said those last words were more painful than any curse. Lance looked away from her to cover the hurt in his eyes. He looked at Marco and nodded his head in signal.

Marco saw the hurt in Lance's eyes. He may not have believed that Lance loved his ex-fiancée but he knew that he genuinely cared for her and being betrayed by someone you cared for was as painful as losing someone you love.

"Lindsay, please leave. I will escort you out." The defeat in Marco's voice was evident. He should have just asked Lindsay to leave right away and they could have avoided this encounter.  But now that it's done he had no other option but to make her leave.

Lindsay felt the hurt he inflicted on Lance. She want to make his pain go away but she knew that it will take some time. She tried to approach him as she felt the need to hold him but he pushed her away. This fuelled her determination to win him back.

"No need! I know my way out. Remember this Lance, no one can have you aside from me. I'll make sure of that!"

"Lindsay, Go! Now! Before I have you arrested for trespassing!" It was Marco's cold threatening voice. He worriedly looked at Lance's reaction. But he did not seem to hear Lindsay's threat as he hurriedly rushed into his penthouse apartment.